Assessing/rebuilding an iron filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

zuren

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if I can breath life into our iron filter, or if I'm at the mercy of the local water treatment company...

We had an air induction iron filter (Clack WS1) installed in 2016 and a new softener in early 2021. Between 2016 and now, we've had the company out for various service calls, so they have had hands on our system frequently since 2016. Lately we've had some odd behavior from the system so we scheduled a service call. The guy was here today and told us the iron filter was shot (he called it a "paper weight"). This is a little upsetting since they have been here regularly and never mentioned anything about service options, or any maintenance considerations. Now the filter is supposedly ruined at about half it's service life.

He said he found some build up inside the softener, indicating that the iron filter was not working as intended. He also stated that our iron had "doubled to 4.7", and a new iron filter would be $3200. Something didn't feel right about this. For now, he put some Iron Out in our brine tank and increased the regeneration frequency of the softener to clean it out. The iron filter is being bypassed. Here are the technicians notes from the visit, but he wasn't very specific. Words in parentheses (...) are mine for clarity:

"Customer recently changed (softener) kilf. There was iron in the center of the filter. (Softener) Resin is starting to show a little iron on it as is the
distributor tubes, tubes gave me resistance pulling them out and back in. Pulled (iron filter) valve apart and found heavy iron in the control valve, collar and tank. (Iron filter) Inlet side is almost plugged up with iron. Iron from the well has gone up from the previous 2 service calls at least a full ppm each time.

Recommend to replace SC with new. Back flushed both softener tanks. Left softener in regen. Left SC in bypass as it is not helping the softener. Recommend to have us come out at least once a year to pull valve apart and clean and to use red out salt or powder in the BT."

I have attached pics. After he left, I went back to our old records and saw that when we installed the iron filter in 2016, the water analysis showed iron at 4.5. A current analysis showing a 0.2 increase does not align with his comments, and doesn't seem like it doubled to me, or am I wrong on that?

I then had a conversation with a friend who has been plagued by bad water. He said to not believe the guy and to rebuild the iron filter. I'm getting the sense that this company may not rebuild systems, and this guy just wants the commission on selling a new system.

Considering this iron filter is being deemed ruined, is out of warranty, and a new filter will be $3200 installed, it seems that I have little to lose to attempt to clean/rebuild this filter. Is my friend correct in saying to ignore this guy and explore a rebuild? I went to Youtube and came across this guy:

Bleach flush -

Tank media replacement -

These videos seems to address what I'm facing. I'm capable of this work, but just wondering what the pros or more experienced here on the forum would advise? I'm also not above contacting a different treatment company.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Bypass valve.jpg
    Bypass valve.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Inlet to filter head.jpg
    Inlet to filter head.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 131
  • System.jpg
    System.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Top view.jpg
    Top view.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I did not watch your videos. Media replacement after 7 years is not unexpected. Do you know what the media is Do you know what your backwash rate (gpm) is supposed to be? Is that iron filter a single 12 inch by 52 tank? 10x54?

Regarding treating the resin with Iron Out, there are techniques beyond adding IO to the salt.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's an AIO setup and a good, quality valve you have. No way I'd buy a new system. Get some new media and clean/rebuild everything on the iron side and you'll be good. Acid will clean/refresh the softener media if it's really bad. Time to get wet and dirty and save yourself a ton of money.

Reach4

Reaction score
That's an AIO setup and a good, quality valve you have. No way I'd buy a new system. Get some new media and clean/rebuild everything on the iron side and you'll be good. Acid will clean/refresh the softener media if it's really bad. Time to get wet and dirty and save yourself a ton of money.
What media? Would you check the backwash rate?

Reaction score
What media? Would you check the backwash rate?
Need a test to know for sure but I would hope his installer did that the first time around. Backwash would depend on media used but OP can find all that info with a quick search. I used katalox and it backwashes very easily.

Reach4

Reaction score
Some suppliers under-backwash KL.

Measuring the backwash rate, by seeing how quickly the drain line will fill a 5-gallon bucket, can see what backwash rate is being achieved.

zuren

Reaction score
I did not watch your videos. Media replacement after 7 years is not unexpected. Do you know what the media is Do you know what your backwash rate (gpm) is supposed to be? Is that iron filter a single 12 inch by 52 tank?

Regarding treating the resin with Iron Out, there are techniques beyond adding IO to the salt.

I just started to look into this, so I'm taking a note for all of your questions to follow up...

The iron filter is the single, tall tank you see in the attached "System" image. I'm not sure that it is 12" x 52" but will confirm. The shorter tanks are the softener.

The iron filter is a Clearwater Systems SmartClear Air Induction Filter. The manual states that it has "Special Formula Mixed Media". My hope is that if I call the dealer, they can tell me or I can search the internet more.

I've been doing more research today. I'm leaning toward cleaning and rebuilding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks