Aspiring Plumber Seeks Help

Users who are viewing this thread

rb1754

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a 24-year-old in Connecticut looking to change gears and start a career as a plumber. I've considered joining my Local Union, but most of their jobs/classes are a 2+ hour drive from my location, as I'm from a less active part of the state. Right now, I'm considering reaching out to local shops to see if they will take on a trainee, but my expectations are that Non-Union Apprentices can start as low as $10/hour, which would make it really difficult to live off of, since I'm not just coming out of High School.

At the moment, I work a Part-Time job from 6PM - Midnight that pays me enough to live OK. A friend of mine who's in the trade said it is unlikely I'll be able to swing it with an employer, but if I have any chance of paying rent or other bills I would need to keep that Part-Time job ...

Hoping to get opinions on this before I start contacting local shops .. Any way to play the sympathy card? I'd really like to learn the trade.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
These days I doubt that you could "join" a union, so non-union regardless of the starting wages may be the only way to go. Without any experience you are not too valuable to any prospective employer.

rb1754

Reaction score
I imagine there's a lot of truth to that, but is it reasonable to work a night job and apprentice in the daytime? If I'm honest about it, will a Master Plumber throw me a bone? I'm a hard worker, but I'm also trying to make ends meet.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm in Ct and have a well drillers apprentice, so I'm kinda familiar with the process. For a W license, it's 6000 hours to get a W 2 and another 2000 hours for a W 1. I'm not sure about a P license.

1) I had to start my apprentice off at $10.50 an hour with a 5% raise every six months.
2) I have to keep him employed continuously for 6000 hours with no interruptions or the apprenticeship ends. Overtime does not count toward the 6000 hours.
3) He has to attend classes and workshops.
4) State law in Ct states that everyone on the job is either licensed or an apprentice, no casual labor or "trying it out"
5) At the end of his 6000 hours, the state mandates that he get paid $21.50 an hour.
6) Only one apprentice per licensed W1, P1, E1, etc

Not to be negative, but the trade schools like Abbott Tech, Kaynor Tech etc graduate some really good help that already have some basic experience and those kids who have done well get hired quickly.

The tough part for you is to show the employer your the man for the job.

rb1754

Reaction score
I'm in Ct and have a well drillers apprentice, so I'm kinda familiar with the process. For a W license, it's 6000 hours to get a W 2 and another 2000 hours for a W 1. I'm not sure about a P license.

1) I had to start my apprentice off at $10.50 an hour with a 5% raise every six months.
2) I have to keep him employed continuously for 6000 hours with no interruptions or the apprenticeship ends. Overtime does not count toward the 6000 hours.
3) He has to attend classes and workshops.
4) State law in Ct states that everyone on the job is either licensed or an apprentice, no casual labor or "trying it out"
5) At the end of his 6000 hours, the state mandates that he get paid $21.50 an hour.
6) Only one apprentice per licensed W1, P1, E1, etc

Not to be negative, but the trade schools like Abbott Tech, Kaynor Tech etc graduate some really good help that already have some basic experience and those kids who have done well get hired quickly.

The tough part for you is to show the employer your the man for the job.

How would you recommend I do that?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks