Asking for HVAC pvc condensate drain line installation advice

Users who are viewing this thread

mineown

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just discovered that one PVC condensate drain line is leaking water from inside the walls through two floors. :(

The AC unit is at the 2nd floor's attic, so the condensate drain line is running inside the walls.

I am thinking that if I can just run the drain line to the outside directly from the attic, then run the line along the exterior wall right beside the gutter downpipe. This would save me from all the headache from future leakage.

I live in Raleigh area in NC, so the winter shouldn't be too old. Beside even if the PVC pipe cracks I can still easily replace the damaged section.

Just wondering if doing so is against any plumbing or building code?

Thanks a lot

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It should be okay. The only thing to consider is where it actually drains...moisture draws carpenter ants and termites, so getting the moisture away from the house is a good thing. Cosmetically, that's another issue. Painting the PVC can help block some UV from it, which tends to make it brittle over time.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my very sunny area we run PVC condensate lines on roofs and along exterior walls, with no problems.

Or you can try fixing what you have by opening the wall where you see the leak, locating the leak - it could be a coupling.

Another option is to use an electric pump with a tube to remove condensation from the attic A/C unit to the outside. Such a pump costs about $50.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks