AS Whirlpool Tub Install?

Users who are viewing this thread

valleyviewlawns

Reaction score
I recently bought a 5'x32" whirlpool tub, with a build date of 7/2000 for a remodel that we are doing. It looks unused but I have a problem with the install. The end with the drain is 2 1/4" taller than the other end. When it sits on the built in base it does not sit level. I do not think I can "hang" it from the edges as those are not for holding the weight of the tub. How do I make this sit level? I have never seen anything like this. This is an American Standard Model# 2770.018.020.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally a tub sets on a deck, or stringers on the wall and is supported from below. When installing they recommend shimming. Which really is an easy way of saying, not their problem.
The best way is to have a few piles of mortar mixed up wet, and then drop the tub down over them, which squishes the piles of mortar down and out, conforming to the bottom of the tub.
You don't need full contact, and so some points of contact will be enough for support.

valleyviewlawns

Reaction score
Normally a tub sets on a deck, or stringers on the wall and is supported from below. When installing they recommend shimming. Which really is an easy way of saying, not their problem.
The best way is to have a few piles of mortar mixed up wet, and then drop the tub down over them, which squishes the piles of mortar down and out, conforming to the bottom of the tub.
You don't need full contact, and so some points of contact will be enough for support.

Thanks Terry. This tub has a built in base, and at the end with out the drain it has a platform for mounting the pump. It just seems weird that if I level the top then the base will have a difference of 2 1/4" from one end to the other. I am wondering if this was a special order tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks