Artesian Well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Skybadoover

Reaction score
Bought my place 2 years ago and my well head was inside a 4 x 4 plywood shed that had a hose come thru the wall to a spigot on a metal stake stuck in the grass about foot out from the shed. I had never looked in the little shed until recently but when open the spigot always only had a small amount of water coming from it, when open, that felt more like unpressurized flow. I recently decided to remove the plywood shed and have a river rock wishing well built around the well head to spruce it up. Once the shed was gone I saw that the 8" well casing had a split plug set into the top of the casing to cap it. Out of one side of the plug/cap was a 3/4" copper pipe rising about 6", with a spigot on top. Then a short garden hose ran from that spigot out thru the shed wall to the stake spigot in the grass. I immediately saw that the hose was kinked inside the shed and assumed that's why the stake spigot never had much water. I took the hose off of the well head spigot and then just turned on the well head spigot. The flow wasn't much different....fair but weak with no pressure. Next I opened up a hydrant a ways away that is tied into my domestic water and soon the pump cycled on. Instantly the flow stopped at the well head spigot. As soon as the pump cycled off the flow resumed at the well head spigot......repeat. Is it possible that I have water clear to the top cap off my well (artesian) pushing water to the well head spigot when the pump is off? In the end I had a 12", horizontal "thru foundation" frostless spigot set thru the wall of the wishing well and I too ran a short hose from the well head spigot the frostless spigot. I now noticed when my pump was running for an extended period (outside watering) I noticed the hose between the 2 spigots was sucked flat. I assume that was from vacuum created as the water level in the casing was drawn down by the pump? Am I on point with my thinking? Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks