Armored cable on wall surface?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by mc510, Jul 25, 2015.

1. mc510

mc510 Member

I want to extend a circuit from an existing outlet (steel handy box) in the garage to a remodel box on the opposite side of the wall several feet away. Because the studs are enclosed with sheetrock, I'm picturing running armored cable on the surface of the wall, then ducking through a small hole in the sheetrock to get to the remodel box. Is it acceptable to run armored cable in this way, exposed on the surface of a garage wall? How would I terminate the armored cable at the plastic remodel box? Can't clamp it in, as you would with a steel box.

2. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    get a steel "remodel box".

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. mc510

mc510 Member

Ah, why didn't I think of that? Okay, that will let me properly anchor the armored cable. Now, is it acceptable for me to run that armored cable along the exposed interior surface of my garage wall?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Test, Don't Guess!
    Most of us take enough pride in our work that we would fish cable through the wall and repair a few holes in the drywall instead of considering what you are.
    If I were going to surface mount, I would be running conduit.