Arlington, Texas - Kitchen sink / disposal drain configuration - Compliant?

Users who are viewing this thread

Desmo749

Reaction score
Hi all - I have searched the forums and various threads but was unable to find anything that addressed my configuration specifically.

I have had both configurations under my sink and both have worked (did not leak and drainage was very good) however I would like to be code compliant. I am a DIYer.

Arlington-20131111-00076.jpg

Funky but compliant

Arlington-20131111-00077.jpg

Not compliant. You have created an S trap that will siphon.

There is an air gap installed on top of the counter where the drain hose from the dishwasher connects to the sink drain (disposal). The continuous waste pipe from the disposal to the T slopes downward from left (disposal) to right (T). In the top image, the horizontal waste pipe from the T to the elbow and ultimately to the P-Trap slopes downward from right to left (towards the P-trap). In the bottom image, the horizontal waste pipe FROM the elbow to the trap arm slopes downward (right to left).

Is there a better way to do this and are either of these configurations code complaint? Is it okay to have the trap arm from the wall facing up as opposed to down?

Any advice/recommendation provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Desmo749

Reaction score
Thanks Terry - A 45 from the wall? I am not sure I know what that is, I will do some searching but if you have a picture or link to one that would be great.

Thanks again.

Desmo749

Reaction score
It would be better to go with the top pictue, but a 45 from the wall to the vertical drain below the tee.

Okay - would the 45 be pointing to the side (toward the vertical drain below the T) or down? Having a tough time visualizing this. Will the 45 allow me to move the p-trap directly under the T? Is that the objective?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We aim the trap arm toward the drain we are connecting. A 45 is half of a 90 bend. A full circle is 360.
I don't like using a tee in the middle, though we do it that way too.

sink_dw.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks