Are waxless rings ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Don

Reaction score
I took one out of the box at Home Depot...had two thin rubber sealing fins and an in-set seal for the bottom of the toilet..it felt like it would fit very well as i test fit it into PVC..didn't put it all the way in..didn't think id get it out easily...seems like a very clean alternative..Any opinions about waxless?..I'm going to install a new toilet in my new upstairs bathroom next week..Dare I trust it to waxless?...Don

Don

Reaction score
Thanks!!!..I really felt that good old wax was the way to go...I bought a Gunk (Kant Leak) wax ring with the poly insert funnel thing in it..Don

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
fluidmaster_on_carpet.jpg
Fluidmaster​
The two I've seen are the Fluidmaster and the Fernco.​
I don't see a problem with them.​

fluidmaster_on_toilet.jpg
Just push the Fluidmaster onto the bottom of the toilet,​
and then drop into the flange.​

Last edited:

Don

Reaction score
Man!! that's far more industrial looking than the waxless i was looking at...I like it!!..could you tease us with some titanium toilet flange pics?...Don

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been using them a couple of years now.

Most of the time, I'm using wax. I can use wax in more places and on more brands.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rings

I would never use the "funnel" wax rings, especially on a second floor, but that is a personal opinion. The waxless ones are okay if you do as Terry says and put them on the toilet first, rather than follow the process listed with the product.

Don

Reaction score
Really?...I want this to be trouble free for years..this Kant-Leak ring I have has that urethane sleeve(funnel thing)..do you find that it restricts waste flow? because it does appear to reduce the diameter of the opening..perhaps too much maybe?....have you found urethane sleeve type rings to be difficult to squish and conform so that the toilet is sitting all the way down on the floor in a non-wobble manner?...the price of rings is so insignificant..I want one that will never ever leak if it's out there...according to the tradititionalists..it's only 99 cents...Don

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
seal

Nothing is "forever". By its nature a wax seal is a compressive seal without any "rebound", so once it is compressed, if the toilet moves away from that point there will be a gap between it and the toilet, and this is almost impossible to prevent unless the flange is well secured to the floor and the toilet sets on the floor perfectly, with no rocking at any time either before or after the bolts are tightened. This small gap is seldom a problem until you introduce the plastic funnel which creates splashing and then gets into the tiny gap and leaks out onto the floor.

Don

Reaction score
hmmm..sounds like what you're saying is when the toilet is flushed..the downward rush of waste water in (free fall) as it leaves the toilet can splash against the funnel...and when water hits something, it's always going to be testing even the smallest gaps out to the side....Like a drop of water falling down next to you will never even try to get you wet..unless it hits ..like a deck rail or limb next to you...is that the point?...Don

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks