Are tub spout diverters legal? Located in MA

Users who are viewing this thread

DragonBallz

Reaction score
Hi

I'm going to be using the Delta Galeon trim. I want a soaking bathtub spout filler and a hand sprayer, no showerhead. Delta's R22000 is not good for a tub filler. I don't want 2 separate wall trims knobs for a diverter and valve. My only option is for a tub spout diverter. Are they still legal nowadays? To use with a R10000-UNBX valve.

I'm in the process of getting quotes from plumbers for my whole house renovation. So don't want to call them and ask them a bunch of questions if I'm not hiring them.

Thank you

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi

I'm going to be using the Delta Galeon trim. I want a soaking bathtub spout filler and a hand sprayer, no showerhead. Delta's R22000 is not good for a tub filler. I don't want 2 separate wall trims knobs for a diverter and valve. My only option is for a tub spout diverter. Are they still legal nowadays? To use with a R10000-UNBX valve.

I'm in the process of getting quotes from plumbers for my whole house renovation. So don't want to call them and ask them a bunch of questions if I'm not hiring them.

Thank you
Why wouldn't they be legal? There's no reason I could think of that would make them illegal. Although Massachusetts has some kooky things I would find it astonishing if they were illegal.

DragonBallz

Reaction score
Why wouldn't they be legal? There's no reason I could think of that would make them illegal. Although Massachusetts has some kooky things I would find it astonishing if they were illegal.
Lol kooky is exactly why I am asking! But more for new construction, not grandfathered in or anything.

I did just read an article on EPA.gov stating that the allowable leak rate is 0.1 GPM new and 0.2 GPM after it's life cycle testing. https://www.epa.gov/watersense/bath-and-shower-diverters

I will call the plumbing inspector next week. THANK YOU!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Massachusetts has a website with a plumbing component database that lists everything you can legally install plumbing wise. Note, they also have a regulation that requires a licensed plumber to do ANY plumbing. Accepted Plumbing Products Online System by Massachusetts Board of Registration of Plumbers and Gas Fitters (state.ma.us)

If it isn't on their list, a plumbing inspector SHOULD fail the installation. There are ways to get something added, but you would need to talk to your local inspector.

DragonBallz

Reaction score
They are always "legal" assuming they are installed correctly, BUT, you have to use them with a "twin ell" for you spout/handheld connection.,
When used with a R10000-UNBX, why can't the tub spout come from the bottom, but the handheld come from the top, like a regular shower? Not that it matters to me too much because a plumber will be doing the work. But I just didn't want to buy a separate diverter and trim. Big $ for no reason.

Will the twin-ell lower the flow rate for tub spout?

Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
When used with a R10000-UNBX, why can't the tub spout come from the bottom, but the handheld come from the top, like a regular shower? Not that it matters to me too much because a plumber will be doing the work.
I think you are then figuring to use a tub spout without a diverter, right?
Will the twin-ell lower the flow rate for tub spout?
Some but not a lot. But I think you are now saying that you would have a separate port for the shower, so need for a twin-ell.

DragonBallz

Reaction score
I think you are then figuring to use a tub spout without a diverter, right?

Some but not a lot. But I think you are now saying that you would have a separate port for the shower, so need for a twin-ell.

My plan is to have a tub spout w/ built-in diverter hooked up the the bottom port of a R10000 UNBX. And a handheld shower hooked up to the top port of the R10000UNBX.

I don't want a separate wall mounted diverter because that, in my mind, is expensive and looks ugly with 2 trims on the wall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What you plan will work, and you'll probably find your spout is on the approved list. That's a common configuration.

Some valves don't want you to use both outlets (so you cap the unused one), and then, a twin-el is generally called for when using a tub spout diverter. If you don't in those circumstances, you'd get water out both ports of the el at the same time. That's one reason why the top port on that Delta valve is smaller (like the one designed for the shower of the twin-el). SO, that puts full port volume to the spout, and the smaller outlet to the shower when you turn the diverter on.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The R10000 has a built in Annulus which precludes the need for a twin ell. The tub spout diverter will then divert flow to the handheld so long as water pressure is maintained. Once water pressure is turned off, the system resets itself to direct flow to the tub spout.

Twin Ells are a pain in the ass to install

My plan is to have a tub spout w/ built-in diverter hooked up the the bottom port of a R10000 UNBX. And a handheld shower hooked up to the top port of the R10000UNBX.
This is how it should be installed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks