Are trap seals a code-compliant alternative to trap primers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mliu

Reaction score
I want to have some floor drains in the commercial kitchen of the cafe we're building. Are the new trap drain seals an acceptable and code-compliant alternative to installing trap primers? I've heard that primers are expensive and problematic.

The trap seal I have in mind is SureSeal by RectorSeal:

https://www.rectorseal.com/sureseal-trap-seal/

Personally, I'd want to manually prime the traps at least monthly anyway. But I know that saying so won't satisfy a building inspector.

Mliu

Reaction score
yes, until they deteriorate and no longer seal the trap.
Since trap seals can easily be replaced, I don't consider that to be a problem. And they have the added benefit of eliminating pests, like flies, in the floor drain traps. From what I've read, trap primers are also prone to failure over time. And replacing one of those is far more expensive and time-consuming.

So trap seals are an accepted alternative by building inspectors?

Mliu

Reaction score
I've found the answer to my question in an article dated April 2017:
New construction specification depends on jurisdictions that have adopted ASSE-1072. The following list presents approval levels by state:

Fully approved: Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Jersey, New Mexico, Tennessee, Utah, Wisconsin, and District of Columbia​

Btw, I also found this info from RectorSeal: "Every SureSeal has a 10 year limited warranty. When properly installed and used under normal conditions SureSeal will replace any product that fails in the field."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks