Are these shut offs??

Users who are viewing this thread

Kate327

Reaction score
Are the plastic knobs supposed to turn??
Seem very stuck and not sure direction to keep trying to turn???
Thank you!!!
upload_2018-11-18_21-0-10.jpeg

Attachments

• B1AC08E0-3FD3-403C-A5B1-88927E94417F.jpeg
    B1AC08E0-3FD3-403C-A5B1-88927E94417F.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 192

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They look to be shutoffs compression fitted onto 1/2" copper pipe to 3/8" OD copper.
I would guess them to be multi-turn, left to open/right to close.

brasscraft-multi-turn.jpg

Last edited:

Kate327

Reaction score
Terry any hints to loosen them up. I tried Wd40. no difference. Almost feels like the plastic knob is going to break if I put more force on them.
Thanks again!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If a valve is never opened or closed for a long time, mineral deposits can 'lock' things in place. WD40 probably won't do much. A penetrating oil might. Worst case, replace them with new.

Reach4

Reaction score
You may want to get the valves replaced. If you want to do that yourself, search this forum, with the search box above, for "ferrule puller" or "sleeve puller" (with the quotes).

Plumber Man

In the Trades
Reaction score
They are 1/4 turn valves which were poorly designed.
If you would get the valve to shut off there's probably a 90% chance it will start leaking at the handle.
When I go in on a service call and see one of these valves I tell the customer up front we're probably going to have to replace it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks