Are there two types of slip-joints?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
Regarding installing a tailpiece extension... originally I had the type of slip-joint that has the plastic wedge shaped washer, which I assume operates by compression. In this case the tailpiece not having any sort of flange seemed fine. However, I got a replacement p-trap and it has squared rubber washers instead of the wedged plastic and so I am wondering if this type of joint requires a flange on the tailpiece (similar to the one on the portion of p-trap that goes into the wall). Or can both the wedge and the squared rubber work on a flange-less tube?

Thanks!!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are square cross section rubber slip joint gasket that are interchangeable with the "tapered" poly.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "flanged tube" is ONLY for use with a kitchen sink, or similar, strainers, and is attached DIRECTLY to them. and there are actually THREE types of slip washers, because there is one type of trap and extension which uses "O" rings for the seals, and they are NOT interchangeable with the tapered or square ones.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks