Are there devices where you can set a temp for shower

Users who are viewing this thread

herbolaryo

Reaction score
I have seen hot water recirculator and external plug in devices which makes shower water hot.

Is there a device where you can set the absolute temperature for the shower and/or faucet?

Let us say you want the water set at 28 centigrade...then at that point NO water will come out until it is 28 centigrade....

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are thermostatic shower valves, but they mix the hot and cold water to produce the set temperature. They won't go over the set temp, but if there isn't enough hot water, it doesn't prevent any from coming out, it just uses all hot. Think of it as a limiting valve in that case, it will never get hotter than the set point.

herbolaryo

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
There are thermostatic shower valves, but they mix the hot and cold water to produce the set temperature. They won't go over the set temp, but if there isn't enough hot water, it doesn't prevent any from coming out, it just uses all hot. Think of it as a limiting valve in that case, it will never get hotter than the set point.

I think that is the anti-scald device that i have seen in some showers.

If there is no such temperature "regulating" device for shower/faucet...

Come to think for a moment... Technology has advance so far. You can set the temperature of the room, your refrigerator...

And yet... the everyday activity... which is the shower... no one has made a "real" thermostat for it.

Perhaps someone will invent it...

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There is not enough demand for it to warrent production.

You could have one made for you, in fact I will make one for you for $100,000.00.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
All sorts of companies make thermostatic controlled shower/tub valves, I have one in my shower. As noted, though, you set the max temp, and it tries to achieve that value by mixing the incoming hot and cold. If there isn't enough hot, it keeps attempting to produce the set temp by limiting the cold mixed into it.

By codes, you must have a valve like this or a pressure balancing valve to prevent inadvertent, unintended hot spurts caused by pressure problems. A properly installed valve will also have a high temp limiting adjustment, but that doesn't work too well on the pressure balanced valves since people can change the WH thermostat, which, since it is a mix and the limit is how far you can turn the hot valve open, only indirectly affects the max temperature achievable.

A second thing between thermostatically controlled vs pressure-balance is that typically with a pressure-balance, you get no flow control - it is either full on or off. A thermostatically controlled valve usually has a volume control (thus at least two controls). On mine, the volume is a two way valve with a built-in diverter. You turn it one way for the tub, and the other way for the shower. I almost never change the temperature setting.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
possible.

this could be interesting for large gyms and health clubs.

At YMCA's that I have been in, there are a bunch of pressure balancing valves in a big shower room, and at each one the temperature is never right at first and can take some adjusting. It is a bit aggravating to be standing under the jet or right next to it, and to know that its first few seconds won't be at the right temperature -- either too cold or too hot.

At a very expensive club I go to occasionally, the showers are always at just the right temperature immediately. This place was well built from scratch, so I figure they must have a single pipe in a circuit behind the shower heads and that it recirculates hot shower temperature water from the minute the club opens. This place has warm walls and feels like a sauna, so it probably didn't worry the engineers that hot (warm) shower water would be recirculating all day long, even if they did insulate the pipe.

In a house, to do the same, would require a recirc loop behind the shower head, and either that loop to be running all the time (a waste of energy unless heating is needed), or a valve to the shower arm, that opens only when the temperature is reached, or a waiting period while you wait after turning on the loop and you guess when to open the shower manually. In each of these three cases, your shower arm has to be Very short or else the water remaining in it will give you a cold water blast before the warm shower water gets to you.

david

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Yeah, until you can purge the pipe leading to the valve of potentially cool/cold water, regardless of what you do it will take a little bit to get your desired temp. A very complicated dump system could divert that water until the water temp was achieved, but nobody could afford it. WIth decent recirculation and a thermostatic valve, you get your ideal temp very quickly...seconds, and is more than enough for most people. Just don't step into the shower until it happens. Proper placement of the controls means you don't have to be standing under it to turn it on and wait those few seconds.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
geniescience said:
. This place was well built from scratch, so I figure they must have a single pipe in a circuit behind the shower heads and that it recirculates hot shower temperature water from the minute the club opens.

david

Done correctly, a recirc system runs all the time. You can put a timer on but for most instances I would just leave it on. It's easier on the water heater to maintain the temperature instead of kicking on and off so much.

herbolaryo

Reaction score
FloridaOrange said:
Done correctly, a recirc system runs all the time. You can put a timer on but for most instances I would just leave it on. It's easier on the water heater to maintain the temperature instead of kicking on and off so much.

I have read about the recirculating system. There were independent studies done which were tested on several families...

It turns out that it was NOT statistically significant...
Opposite to what the company claims.

herbolaryo

Reaction score
I just watch the american inventor in abc.com.
It is amazing to see how simple innovative idea can make an ordinary person into multimillionaire/billionaire

Clever inventions start with an idea...
Since no one has ever invented such a device.
You might like to patent it soon if you have a working concept....

Just don't forget to give me a few samples... ;)
or share a few of your fortune;) 1 million from your billion profit... Just a thought...

If such a device is released in the market... I am sure it will be a hit... Coz it will save utility and at the same time be environment friendly...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks