Are There Any Hose Bibs Designed for Continuous Use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Todd F

Reaction score
When I think about all of the shutoff valves in our homes that may never get turned off like those for our main water turnoff, inside valves to turn off our hose bibs for the winter or those under our sinks that feed our sink faucets - - they are ALWAYS under "continuous use".

In my new home I've got what looks like flimsy PEX valves that pop up or down which feed my sink faucets and are always under continuous use and pressure.

ALL THAT SAID - Why is it that hose bib manufacturers like Woodford state that their heavy duty brass hose bibs are NOT for "continuous use"?

Why YES for flimsy PEX pop up shutoff and NO for heavy brass hose bib?

Shame on me for trying to be logical but it just doesn't make ANY sense?
What am I missing???

****BTW... MOST IMPORTANTLY - Are there ANY hose bibs that ARE designed for continuous use?

Thanks SO MUCH,
...Todd

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I do not know if this is correct but the difference between a faucet shut off valve and a hose bib is the anti siphon assembly. When you shut off a faucet, nothing happens, when you shut off a hose nozzle, the anti siphon valve may spit water (on the ground) to relieve pressure differences. It might be just a statement that is used that you do not connect this valve (or use this as a sink shut off valve) to another faucet to control the water flow.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The shut off valve in the woodford valve is approved for continuous pressure but the vacuum breaker on/in the woodford valve is not approved for continuous pressure. Most every fixture has to have an air gap, backflow preventer or vacuum breaker. There are all types but you have to find one that meets the cities requirements and is approved for that particular use.

Most sinks have an air gap but that is not the case for a sprinkler system such as you have. If you live in the city and /or have municipal water, you have to go by their rules. For them it is all about protecting the source.

https://durhamnc.gov/952/Backflow-Prevention

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks