Are there any documents/weblinks/books illustrating the plumbing code with figures and diagrams?

Users who are viewing this thread

garyppsll

Reaction score
A picture is worth a thousand words. It's hard to crack the plumbing code. I wonder where I can find any reading materials(documents/weblinks/books) with figures illustrating the details of the plumbing code. Any pointer to the info? Thanks!

WoodenTent

Reaction score
Nothing is hurt by better information. Being an engineer I come from a world of drawings, diagrams etc, since just using words doesn't do the job. As the poster says, the big problem with building code is that it really needs diagrams and other visuals. So many things in code are darn near impossible to understand what is being said in just words, when an image would make it all very obvious and easy. Would also help end debate over what is intended. Add to this that just words and terms used throughout building code are not words used by general public, engineering and other fields adds to the problem. It has it's reasons, but that doesn't prevent the problems.

Unlike the typical homehowner, I have code books, and enjoy reading them just to understand thing that I'm not even dealing with. Most don't read NEC book for fun like I do. But time after time in code books you find stuff that makes no sense, and you can't get your head around it. Eventually you figure it out, and then it somewhat makes sense in what they were trying to say, but it should have never been that hard. With an image the words can make sense, without it, not so much. And very often once you get it, it's very clear why it's the way it is, but a diagram would make it so much better. In plumbing look at things like horizontal to horizontal, horizontal to vertical, vertical to horizontal. All can confuse people at first, until the really understand it's about turns, but the last 2 is hard for folks to understand it's not the same thing. It's little stuff like this that once you understand it, it seams so easy and obvious, but until you get it, it's not. This is where people who mean well and want to learn get frustrated or make mistakes. Lots of folks just want to educate themselves so they can understand what is going on with a contractor better, and be able to speak up when they are lying to them. Sometimes because they know they will be taking legal action against bad work.

I've lent my code books to coworkers so they could understand stuff. They are all engineers, some mechanical, some electrical and very often they can't make sense of what code is saying, and all is needed is a diagram.

Make code more clear, and people will understand it, and follow it. Make it hard to access, hard to follow, and people will blow it off and wing it based on "their gut". Just like pulling permits, make it easy and cheap, people do it. Make it hard or expensive, no one gets them.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
one site just lost a lawsuit because he was publishing codes which were copyright protected. The bodies charged infringement because he, and his customers, were not purchasing the codes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks