Are rafter crossties still needed

Users who are viewing this thread

drumz

Reaction score
I have a pole barn (24Lx14Wx20H) that I just put a loft in that covers the back half of the garage. At the top of the walls where the rafters intersect there are 2x6's crossties set at every other rafter which are 24" OC - so the crossties are every 4 feet.
My question is, can I move the ones that are over the loft up closer to the roof peak?
The cross-ties are there for 2 reasons, to keep the walls from falling out and the roof from collapsing in and since one of those needs has been eliminated because the loft now holds the walls together, is there a reason I can't move them up and make them 5-6 feet long to support the pitch of the rafters?
Thanks in advance for your time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ARe these crossties or rafters/joists? If the room has rafters than the crossties are redundant and can be placed where you want them. If these crossties are actually rafters holding the walls in place then they have to stay there regardless of whether you add crossties or not.

drumz

Reaction score
No, they are not joists or rafters, just crossties and yes, that's what I thought, redundant. But just to keep the roof safer for walking on it, have to clear it of pine needles every other year, I'm going to just move them up so they are just under the ridge board.
Thanks for your help!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
There is some math that you may want to check on before moving them.

I have cross ties in my home and remember something about this being discussed with the engineer.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you mean collar ties and not crossties. If you are raising them and not completly removing them you should be ok. In most cases they are not needed if the rafters are sized correctly.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
17229d1199668602-high-do-collar-ties-need-collar_raftertie.jpg

Yes thanks - I meant Collar Ties.

My roof looks something like this.

CollarTies.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks