Are “push to connect” same thing as a shark bite?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sokolq55

Reaction score
I was shopping for some compression fitting supply line valves and noticed the overwhelming majority of supply line valves are of the “push to connect” flavor…presumably catering to DIYers at the big orange.

I’m just curious, is that the same thing basically as a sharkbite with the back facing teeth or does push to connect work differently?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Same thing. I will use them sometimes, but like most plumbers, we're a little wary of them.
If I can solder I do, If I can use expansion PEX, I do.
I prefer compression stops on copper over push to connect.

push-fittings-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

Sokolq55

Reaction score
Same thing. I will use them sometimes, but like most plumbers, we're a little wary of them.
If I can solder I do, If I can use expansion PEX, I do.
I prefer compression stops on copper over push to connect.

I find it interesting with how sharkbite came out only in 2004 but it seems like maybe they don't have a patent on the exact concept since others are basically making the same thing?

I mean the old garden hose quick connect is essentially the same concept but instead of barbs it uses balls and thus requires a compatible male piece.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Watts makes a similarly functioned fitting, but it's a plastic body versus brass. There may be others out there. Patents and copyrights don't last forever, and making a better mousetrap is human nature to explore, especially if he can make money off it.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Qest angle stops worked with the same principle. A compression backwards toothed washer held those onto a copper stubout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks