Are one piece toilets better than 2 piece?

Users who are viewing this thread

FloridaKelly

Reaction score
In the process of condo renovation and contractor asked me for decision on toilet. I have not purchased one n 10 years and comparing one piece vs 2 not sure why one is “better than the other”. Also not interested in spending more than 400 on a toilet. What should I buy?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Performance wise they are very similar.
There is less to go wrong with a one-piece, but it's mainly about style. Don't pick up the one-piece unless the style is that important to you.
That being said, I don't mind spending a little more to have them in my own home.
I sell all of the brands, and prefer the TOTO brand, though all brands have improved recently.

TOTO Drake, Drake II, Drake Dynamax
TOTO Ultramax, Ultramax II
Kohler Wellworth, Santa Rosa
American Standard Cadet

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
One distinct advantage to a 1 pc toilet is cleaning surface. That line between the tank and bowl doesn't exist in a single. For some of my customers that is very important.. As well as the skirt that prevents dust from building up on the area next to the floor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Except in a pressure-assisted toilet, the height of the water can affect the pressure during the flush. By far, most of the performance is based on the design, but given both things being equal in design, a two-piece being (typically) slightly taller in the tank area means slightly more pressure during the flush. I prefer the one-piece for the ability to keep things clean, easier. IT does cost more, and it is heavier. With a two-piece, you could set the bowl, then attach the tank (although access may be harder). So, it's a tossup...pick a good manufacturer and most will work just fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks