Are old 1/4 turn stops as prone to leaking as multi turn

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Travis K, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Travis K

Travis K New Member

Hey all. I notice that most 4 year old and older brass craft multi turn valves tend to leak when you turn the handle. I understand why they leak and i don't think it's acceptable. I have been replacing these with non brass craft 1/4 valves. Do these quarter turn valves tend to leak after a few years? I don't see any latex, faux rubber, etc seals that will leak in the future.
    What's your thoughts?

Btw. What's the theory on tef, i mean, ptfe tape on the threads of the p trap?

And another thing that i have always wondered. Which way does the stopper go in? Does the hook, loop thing go towards the faucet or away?
    See pics

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  2. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    Multi turns are garbage. I have to replace them almost every time I need to use them unless they are fairly new. 1/4 turns are good. You can tighten the packing nut if the stem leaks but their still garbage.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Its been my experience that I have never seen a 1/4 turn stop leak from the handle. I don't know about the plastic ball version sold at box stores and briefly sold at all wholesalers while they were asleep at the wheel trying to catch up with lead free specs.