Are Moen M-Core Series 3 cartridges reliable?

Users who are viewing this thread

TreeTopFlyer

Reaction score
Are Moen M-Core Series 3 cartridges reliable?

Here in Florida I have had salesmen at two wholesale plumbing suppliers basically refuse to order or sell me the Moen UTS344301 Colinet M-CORE 3-Series 1-Handle Trim Kit. I was told that they have experienced multiple returns and complaints about the M-Core Series 1213 Cartridges leaking and needing to be replaced multiple times.

I was planning on using the above trim with Moen U130CIS M-CORE 3-Series 3 Port Shower Mixing Valve in a shower and the Moen U140XS M-CORE 3-Series 4 Port Tub and Shower in a tub shower.

I am in the middle of a whole house repipe to remove polybutylene pipe that was installed in the 1980’s after the plumbing failed in the slab. The pipe will be replaced with pex. Having previously had a shower valve setup that allowed for independent control of water temperature and volume; I liked the concept of Moen M-Core Series 3 line.

The trim change this week is was due to physical obstacles that pretty much eliminated the options provided with the Moen UTS9211, Colinet 2 Function Pressure Balanced Valve Trim Only with Double Lever Handle, Integrated Diverter. This trim had already been purchased for the job and uses the same cartridge. Post installation repair costs were going to be much higher than planned due to obstacles to adding additional water features.

For those of you with more experience, do you have any suggestions?

I have enjoyed reading these forums and have learned a lot from the discussion and exchange of information.

TreeTopFlyer

Reaction score
I prefer Hansgrohe or Grohe and if you are low on funds, then Delta. No experience with M core
Thank you for the suggestion. I will take a look.

Any major problems other than hard water deposits with the Delta TempAssure 17T Series?

A lot of money going into the whole house repipe and a new waterline from the meter to the house. The horizontal boring machine was pretty cool to see for someone that did labor with a shovel a lifetime ago.

TreeTopFlyer

Reaction score
I like the Delta valves too.
Terry,

After reading some of your installation posts on the Delta 17 series rough in and trim I ordered the Delta LAHARA TempAssure 17T Series trim.

The specifications for the Delta trim show the outside diameter to be 7”. I’m not crazy about the Delta remodel plates because they are all plastic.

Does anyone know if I could use the metal Moen #1920 - Remodeling Cover Plate with the Delta trim. The outer diameter of the inset part of the Moen 1920 smitty plate is also 7”. I’ll probably have to order and try it out.

Delta LAHARA TempAssure 17T Series trim

Delta LAHARA 17T trim specifications

Moen #1920 - Remodeling Cover Plate

Moen #1920 - Remodeling Cover Plate specifications

Attachments

• 020FDB2C-50BC-49E6-AE4E-EBE7B37D25FF.jpeg
    020FDB2C-50BC-49E6-AE4E-EBE7B37D25FF.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 913115C6-16EB-496B-A016-3A3AA0C23C74.jpeg
    913115C6-16EB-496B-A016-3A3AA0C23C74.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 7F3C5B52-F7AC-48C5-9465-103E4296DB59.jpeg
    7F3C5B52-F7AC-48C5-9465-103E4296DB59.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 22EAC632-10EF-422C-AFF2-4D602D55348D.jpeg
    22EAC632-10EF-422C-AFF2-4D602D55348D.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 108

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Most plumbing wholesale shops in your area should have the Moen plate in stock so you can go see once you have the Delta plate.
Pasco is a plumbing shop specialty brand and they make a metal remodel plate that works with most every mfr's round plate...local shops may carry it or similar from an east coast mfr.

TreeTopFlyer

Reaction score
Most plumbing wholesale shops in your area should have the Moen plate in stock so you can go see once you have the Delta plate.
Pasco is a plumbing shop specialty brand and they make a metal remodel plate that works with most every mfr's round plate...local shops may carry it or similar from an east coast mfr.
Thanks Breplum,

If the Moen plate doesn’t work I will check out the Pasco remodel plate. I called Delta to confirm that their remodel plate was plastic. I was told that it is non-metallic. I couldn’t see paying almost a hundred dollars for a plastic remodel plate.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I couldn’t see paying almost a hundred dollars for a plastic remodel plate.
Since the pandemic, much of what we sell as plumbers has gone sky high. I look at some to the shower valve trims now and the pricing is just sailing away on us.
I can understand water heaters going up I guess, there's more to them.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We've installed a few M-Core valves but not many yet, so not enough experience/time to say for sure how they last. I suspect that they are going to eventually phase out the Positemp the same as they've done with the Moentrol valves. The M-Core seem to be the same as an American Standard valve from just a glance. My installers at first had trouble with them because they took them out of the sleeve that they came with and the cartridge fell apart.. but once they learned not to do that the rest have been good installations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks