Are kitchen sink "tailpieces" standard

Users who are viewing this thread

Edwardh1

Reaction score
we are looking to rennovate moms 1957 home, it has a double side porcelain kitchen sink, the metal pieces (what are they called? its the piece that you would put the stopper into) (Basket) that are where the water drains out at sink bottom where it connects to the undersink plumbing both look really bad and also one leaked (fixed with caulk) . Has a large 5 inch or so thin nut that holds it in place from below and is bedded in caulk from above---

are these pieces standard size ? as in a plumber can fix it or does it become need a new whole sink then whole countertop?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
The common ones for home use are either "1-1/2 inch" or a "1-1/4" OD tailpiece". They come in different lengths and can be cut.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A kitchen sink basket has a 1.5" outlet.

jomar_snaplock.jpg

Last edited:

Edwardh1

Reaction score
I was not too clear I am not asking about the size of the pipe that carrys the water away (say 1 14 or 1 1/2) but I am asking about the part that fits and touches the sink itself typically held in by plumbers putty.
It the size of that part standard? i e has not changed since 1957

Reach4

Reaction score
You are referring to the basket, I think. The putty, if there, is to prevent water leaks-- not to hold the basket in place. There is usually a rubber gasket. The kitchen sink hole is usually 3.5 inches but not always.

A garbage disposal can go there instead.

ks_brasstech_chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks