Are Calcite Filters Beneficial in a RO System?

Users who are viewing this thread

RayN

Reaction score
I have a 4 stage RO system and its time to replace the filters, a friend of mine recommended to add Omnipure 2" x 10" Inline Calcite Filter (K2548) after the RO membrane (GRO-75EN) but before Omnipure K2540-KK. The friend swears that water will taste better and will be more healthy.

My RO feeds to the refrigerator as well. Will it harm the refrigerator internals by causing calcium build-up?

Any recommendations for or against it? Thanks, Ray

Reach4

Reaction score
The friend swears that water will taste better and will be more healthy.
It will taste better probably. They sell remineralization filters for the purpose that has more than calcite.
My RO feeds to the refrigerator as well. Will it harm the refrigerator internals by causing calcium build-up?
I think it would cause some calcium build up, but I don't know how much build up that would be.

I suggest that you also have a mineral-free tap for cleaning/rinsing purposes. I am not a pro.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
50/50 for taste. I like it, my wife does not. Considering it is relatively inexpensive, add it and see what you think. It will add a tiny amount of scale so no worries.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks