arc fault tripping

Users who are viewing this thread

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
New work, bedroom low voltage halogen bulbs 4 fixtures with transformers. they trip 15 amp breaker.
Wired properly. No I didn.t run nuetral to ground. Any ideas appreciated thanks tool

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Double-check all connections to verify they are tight. Are the low-voltage ps passive or active devices (i.e., heavy transformers, or electronic devices)? Disconnect one fixture/transformer at a time and see if that helps isolate the problem. You could also have a nail or staple in a wire somewhere. Does it trip immediately, or intermittently after some arbitrary delay? Not all arc detecting cb are created equal...some have better filters in them to prevent nuisance tripping.

Toolaholic

Reaction score
Double-check all connections to verify they are tight. Are the low-voltage ps passive or active devices (i.e., heavy transformers, or electronic devices)? Disconnect one fixture/transformer at a time and see if that helps isolate the problem. You could also have a nail or staple in a wire somewhere. Does it trip immediately, or intermittently after some arbitrary delay? Not all arc detecting cb are created equal...some have better filters in them to prevent nuisance tripping.

will check thanks

Toolaholic

Reaction score
Here's what is strange. these two bedrooms had new incandescent light fixtures earlier, no tripping then. As soon as we switched to low voltage with transformers,both rooms[ 2 seperate arc fault circuits]
started the occasional false tripping . We are licensed for this and did a new 200 amp service,all new wiring signed off. We all are the Manuf. Guenne pigs for these arc faults,i feel

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks