Aquastat Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Fourbg

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster!

We have an old American Standard natural gas boiler from when the house was built in 1967. We've owned the house almost twenty years and in the last eight or ten years I have replaced the Honeywell Aquastat (L8148E 1265) no less than four times. It seems like these things are designed to last two years and then either the relay or transformer goes bad.

The current aquastat is making the noises its predecessors have shortly before they give up the ghost, so I plan to buy its replacement. However, the cost of these keeps going up and I've seen in a few forums the recommendation to drop Honeywell and go with Beckett's aquastat (Model 7610B), which is nearly $100 less expensive; and maybe will last longer?

I'm curious what folks think of making that change?

Thanks so much!

Fitter30

Reaction score
Looks like the honeywell is a high limit and becket is a operating control. If the noise is a hum its probable coming from the relay if it is rust is building up between relay coil and and the moveable contacts. Not fixable. Do to the fact that this control has a transformer and can do other things other than high limit changing controls could add other relays or controls and wiring.

Last edited:

Fourbg

Reaction score
You are exactly right - it starts with a hum, then eventually will short cycle the burner so that the boiler never gets to its maximum temperature.

So, if I understand you correctly, the Beckett is not a direct replacement for the Honeywell.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks