AquaPEX Sizing & Flow Rates

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshDIY

Reaction score
I am not a professional plumber. Just a DIYer looking for some advice.

I am in the process of finishing my basement. I will be adding a full bathroom with 3 fixtures (stand-up shower, toilet & sink). I will also be adding a laundry room with two fixtures (wash machine & large tub/sink). Lastly, I will be adding a bar which will also have a sink. I've scoured the net, done a lot of research and read more about plumbing than I ever thought I would all in an effort to do the job "right". I finally settled on using Uponor AquaPex with the ProPEX expansion fittings. The entire house (approx. 17 yrs old) was done in copper. The main copper line coming in is 3/4" and goes immediately into a series of bypass valves in between a whole-house sediment filter that I will need to relocate. So I am cutting that all off, sweating in a copper to pex fitting and then running the new supply line over to where I am relocating the filter and then tying it all back in to the existing copper, again with the PEX. Here is where my concerns/questions come in. I was going to use 3/4" PEX for the main supply runs and then branch off with 1/2" PEX to the various fixtures (basically matching sizes with copper) However, other forums and articles are saying that if I exceed the specs for the PEX in terms of FPS (a max of 10 feet per second) I run the risk of chemical leaching and causing all sorts of health hazards. Considering I am new to plumbing, have a family, don't want to die, etc., this concerned me. I do not know what GPM I am getting through the main supply lines although a couple buckets and a stop watch I'm sure I can figure it out. My new plan was to then upsize the PEX (use 1" where I was going to use 3/4", use 3/4" where I was going to use 1/2") to avoid the higher FPS. But, I've noticed that all the EP manifolds have 1/2" outlets which obviously wont work if I am going to do 3/4" runs to the fixtures.

The fact that all the manifolds only have 1/2" outlets tells me that what I should be using. Am I making too much out of this leaching and the FPS restrictions, etc??

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With PEX I will have up to two fixtures on 1/2". So for a full bath, I run 3/4" over for the cold, and a single 1/2" hot for the lav and tub.
Upsizing at the beginning to 1" is a good idea. I normally run 1" for a two bath home where it comes in before I start knocking things down. You count from the far end and get larger as you head toward the supply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks