appropriately sizing a room's hydronic radiator requirements

Users who are viewing this thread

Nanker Phelge

Reaction score
I have been reading lots of similarly appropriate resources online, but I think it is now time to start posting questions in a forum to find answers to questions still outstanding as well as confirm my intentions to install a HG combi boiler with flat panel hydronic radiators to replace my house's current primary source of heat: (expensive!) electric baseboard.

I have done a fairly intensive heat analysis for my home determining that the total heat loss during the coldest months (here in NW Ontario Canada) is ~30k BTUs.

I wonder then, for a room calculated with a 10k BTU heat loss per hour, does the room's radiator configuration need simply to equal this heat loss value (10k BTUs) to over come the heat loss, or do the radiators need instead to be sized some % higher in order to add degrees of comfortable heat in addition to overcoming the room's heat loss value during waking hours, and enough heat during sleeping hours to maintain a minimal degree of heat in the room?

Although I have several questions, I thought it best to tackle them one at a time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks