Apprenticeship plumber DFW Union? trying to find work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
Hi i live in the North Dallas area Mckinney and Frisco area and trying to get a job as a Apprenticeship plumber or helper.
I thought i had one and did a interview last August with Union in Dallas and they put me on there list to bring me in and i am still on the list.
So far each time i call them they tell me to call back the month after.
Is the plumbing field very slow right now or what?
I even check craigslist and send my resume in to Apprenticeship plumber jobs listed.

I guess the issue is i have no experience and it is hard finding someone to take me on to train me.
What would be the best way to find someone?
Maybe call around ever plumbing place in town and ask?
Just looking for some advice for a newbie in this field.
Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Plumbing unions, it many areas, are a sort of specialized trade and may not do a full gamut of plumbing jobs, so their membership is somewhat stable and not a lot of need for "new blood", which is why you do not advance on the list very fast, if at all. There are also a lot of experienced plumbers looking for work so there is little incentive for a company to take on a "project" and spend time and money developing him. Patience and perseverance, and possibly relocation, will be your keys to finding something.

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
I have been waiting since August or so and have moved up to top 20 waiting list.
Called them last month and they told me they just re hired some they just laid off a few months back.
So i will need to wait a little longer but it should come soon they hope.
I have checked around with most companies and they want someone who is a experienced plumber apprentice.
Guess i will just have to wait it out and hope for the best,Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I have checked around with most companies and they want someone who is a experienced plumber apprentice.

With a pool of experienced workers, whether apprentices or journeymen, there is not a lot of incentive to hire someone that you have to "train".

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
You have to go to school to learn the code 5yr s on the job plus school two nights a week and you need a sponser.
Here i4000 hrs on the job 5000 hrs school willing to take that comitment.In order to get your JMAN,s

Last edited:

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
In Texas Union you don't need a sponsor they told us you just get hired on, i know you correct other states you do i was told.
I passed all the union pre test and interview and etc just no work is all.
I did happen to find a company yesterday to interview me for a plumber apprentice job.
Sure hope it works out,Thanks

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
In Texas Union you don't need a sponsor they told us you just get hired on, i know you correct other states you do i was told.
I passed all the union pre test and interview and etc just no work is all.
I did happen to find a company yesterday to interview me for a plumber apprentice job.
Sure hope it works out,Thanks

I will put my 2 cents in.

It will be very hard to get a Union job.

A real Union will have to hire all available laid off workers before someone that is new.

If not then the Union sucks.

You would be better off going for a Plumbers helper job, until you get a foot in the door.

There is no such thing as a experienced apprentice, unless your have been working, Not just going to school.

If you are lucky you will have a experienced Union worker with plumbing that needs some fixing, That you can stand behind.

Terry has it made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks