Apprenticeship interview with Union in Dallas for the 2nd time question?

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Keep Trying

Yep i have been getting on craigslist ever day for the last year looking for any kind of helpers job and even got the phone book out and called small shops and larger one.
Every one wants a helper with experience they keep telling me or they never reply back.
I feel like Union is my only chance of breaking into plumbing.
Guess all i can do is keep trying and hope something works out,Thanks

I would start looking at the Glassdoor website.

Real employers will NOT be on craigslist, other than to see what You have been up to.

I did a Electronic Apprenticeship in the 70s just to get my Licenses to repair Consumer Electronics in a state that required it.

I was working for Montgomery Ward under a licensed Technician and finished a lot sooner, because all of my 40 hour work week was counted. I was able to take my required test in 6 Months, and I passed.

When Montgomery Ward went belly-up, I moved to Texas and no licenses was required, and I got a better job at NASA. Go figure.

If you can carry pipe in Texas then you are a certified plumber.

Never Give up.

Have Fun Everyone.

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
Yep i noticed Glassdoor website has jobs posted but nothing for a helper with no experience.
Really wish one these construction companies like tradesmen international who brought me in and took my application would hire me for any contract work.
I guess they see my back ground in Sales and Marketing and think this guy could not handle this or something.
Thanks for everyone replies so far.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here in Ct EVERYONE working in the trades has to be licensed or hold an apprentice card or the job can be shut down. The state mandates a minimum wage with 5% raises every six months. For example my son is an apprentice well driller and has to make $10.50 minimum, after 6000 hrs when he gets his "2" license he has to be paid $21.00 an hour. Pretty good when you consider some people with college degrees can't find a job, especially one that will double their rate of pay in three years.

My advice, find a plumbing contractor that will put you into a apprentice program so you can prove to the union that you are serious about becoming a plumber and not just killing time.

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
Been looking for a plumber contractor of any type or any plumber to put me to work.
It can be temp or full time or part time i am not worried about that right now.
Well got my big interview with the Union coming this week and hope all goes well.
They told me i should know a result with in a month or so.

Last edited:

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
Well i did my interview yesterday and i felt all went way better than last time.
They said i would know something in a month or so.
Really hope i get in this time and really excited to find out.
Will let everyone know,Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
union

Getting "into" the union just puts you on the list with all the other applicants. You still need to wait until some contractor asks the union to send them an apprentice and your name comes up.

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
Least i get to do schooling from August till May if i get accepted into the school this time.
Hope the schooling can teach me something while i wait to get out there.
I know last year i did not get accepted into the school and was labeled pro visionary plumber.
The Union would call me if they needed me and the people who got in the school were always put to work before me.
Which makes prefect sense since they were accepted by the Union.

Funny thing in this interview they told me you have been here before we remember you.
So at least they know i have interviewed before and really want this.
Will keep everyone updated,Thanks

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
Just to update this forum i did not get in with the Union after 2nd time.
Guess i will try for a 3rd year in a row next year.
Still trying and calling around and asking if anyone needs a plumbers helper and so far nothing.
I found a place on Craigslist said call for a interview no experience needed and wanting someone for 4yr apprentice job.
So far i have called 3 times this week and every they tell me the person is out in the trade and will call me back and never has so far.
Just not sure how and if i will ever get a change to become a plumber in my life.

DonL

Reaction score
Just to update this forum i did not get in with the Union after 2nd time.
Guess i will try for a 3rd year in a row next year.
Still trying and calling around and asking if anyone needs a plumbers helper and so far nothing.
I found a place on Craigslist said call for a interview no experience needed and wanting someone for 4yr apprentice job.
So far i have called 3 times this week and every they tell me the person is out in the trade and will call me back and never has so far.
Just not sure how and if i will ever get a change to become a plumber in my life.

Nice that you stopped by to update.

You should not give up.

Unions are not that much in, now a days. They have bankrupt GM and other big companies. The UAW was one reason Detroit is in trouble.

Maybe you could start out working for Home Depot or something.

Never say Never.

Good Luck.

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
I checked Home Depot and could not find any openings for a plumber.
Ever Plumbers helper job i find no experience needed is always filled or they never reply back on Craigslist or etc.
Been looking for couple years now and it feels hopeless but i will not give up my search.
I would figure big as Dallas,tx area is i could find something.
Thanks

DonL

Reaction score
I checked Home Depot and could not find any openings for a plumber.
Ever Plumbers helper job i find no experience needed is always filled or they never reply back on Craigslist or etc.
Been looking for couple years now and it feels hopeless but i will not give up my search.
I would figure big as Dallas,tx area is i could find something.
Thanks

Do not feel hopeless.

Try http://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm

You are looking in the wrong place. Craigslist is only good if you are a hooker. Wrong type of plumber.

Good Luck.

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
Yeah looked at Glassdoor and really could not find much but will use it from now on to start looking, Thanks for the tip.
No wonder i never have had luck on Craigslist.
So Home Depot uses contractors then or what.
Thanks for everyone's reply's please keep them coming.
Will keep searching each day.

DonL

Reaction score
The way that it can bee done is;

Get a job at Home Depot in the plumbing department. Low pay starting, but get your foot in the door.

You will get to know the plumbers in your area, Believe me.

When they see you doing a good job, and they need help you will know, And they may have a job available.

Most companies do not allow Moonlighting but some do, If it does not affect your daytime job.

You have to start somewhere. And a Union is a bad place to start, because You are at the very end of a line, and many are out of work.

Good Luck.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; You will get to know the plumbers in your area, Believe me. When they see you doing a good job

Do plumbers in your area REALLY purchase their materials at HD? And if so, how do they EVER find anyone in the aisles to "get to know them:? What is a "good job" for an aisle person. Telling them which basket strainer is the better one?

Most companies do not allow Moonlighting but some do, If it does not affect your daytime job.

It is not a matter of affecting your daytime job. It is a matter of undercutting the boss' prices and becoming his competitor, plus possibly using his equipment AND materails (for free). Most unions will punish any member doing moonlighting, and MOST employers will fire them, I would.

DonL

Reaction score
Do plumbers in your area REALLY purchase their materials at HD? And if so, how do they EVER find anyone in the aisles to "get to know them:? What is a "good job" for an aisle person. Telling them which basket strainer is the better one?

Around here they do.

They also hold the number of fingers up in the parking lot for the number of workers they need, and workers jump in to the bed of the truck.

Of coarse speaking Spanish is a big plus.

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
I never knew plumbers picked staff that worked in the plumber section of a Home Depot i may have to try that.
Well found a few helper positions i applied for 2 online today, 2 of them are pretty far one is 1 hr away and another is 1 hr and 10mins away and one is really close to me.
Found 2 on the Texas Work Force website and the farthest one away asked you to come apply in person and does not even have a number just an address.
I looked it up on Google Maps and it seems to be a smaller Plumbing Shop in the middle of no where i will try and dig up a number and make sure they will be there before i go out there.
The one near to me i found on a random job site and applied on the site direct and Thanks for every ones help and replies so far.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks