Apartment... Does it Make Sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Apt Denizen

Reaction score
I'm remodeling a 4th floor apartment. I would like to attach a water heater for the excusive use of the unit, so as a landlord, I dont have to pay for the hot water in the unit any longer. It is a relatively small unit as it is, so am reluctant to take up any more space to install a tank water heater. There will be a shower/ tub combo and possibly a dishwasher. So the first question is does it make sense? I already intend to run a larger gas line to accommodate a gas heater in the 20,000 btu range and a larger range anyways. If it does make sense, any suggestions for a properly sized reliable unit?

I already intend to run a larger gas line to accommodate a gas heater in the 20,000 btu range and a larger range anyways, so if capacity needs to be increased and if the gas line can be "T"d off a trunk it will only be a small increase in that part of the expense.

Thoughts?
BTW, great site, lots of good reading here. Thanks.

JRC3

Reaction score
20k seems small, but I'm not from Cali. More important, how will you vent it?

Apt Denizen

Reaction score
Small apartment, barely over 500sf. It's actually a small fireplace insert, and there is also an electric heater in the unit. Weather in San Francisco rarely dips below 45F. Venting should not be an issue since I intend to install water heater inside apartment. It's a top floor unit and my intended mounting location is immediately adjacent to ouside wall. I think exhausting to side wall may be my best option.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Most tankless installations require a dedicated home-run of 1-1/4" gas line back to the regulator/meter, with no tees off to other appliances. Even a smaller tankless from most decent vendors has a 140,000 BTU/hr or bigger burner. The lengths here include "equivalent length" adders of every tee & ell along the path:

natural%20gas%20pipe%20chart.jpg

Even a tank type HW heater will usually have a burner in the 35,000- 50,000 BTU/hr range.

A 20,000 BTU/hr space heater is overkill for 500' apartment in the Bay Area. The true heat load is likely to be less than 5000 BTU/hr @ 35F (cooler than the 99% outside design temperatures of most locations in that region.) It's probably easier & cheaper to install a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton point terminal heat pump, which will operate at pretty reasonable efficiency in that climate, providing both heating & cooling. The 3/4 ton LG096HD3B and Amana DigiSmart PTH093G35xxx both run about $800 at internet pricing, the half ton Amana PTH073G35AXXX runs in the low $700s if you shop around. Add another $75-100 for the wall-mounting sleeve.

Any 3/4 ton mini-split heat pump would cover the loads too. They'll be more expensive up front, but won't require framing a hole in the wall the way an PTHP would. Pretty-good (but not their top of the line) name brand units like the Fujitsu 9RKFW1 or Mitsubishi MZ-GL09NA runs about $1300 for just the hardware, maybe ~$2.5K give or take fully installed by a pro. Their efficiency and comfort will be higher than a PTHP, but not enough to matter much. You may be able to get efficiency rebate incentives from the state or utility above some minimum efficiency. (Varies a lot by location.)

That won't fix your hot water heating problem, but it's more appropriately sized for the heating loads than a 20KBTU/hr fossil burner, and won't require the expense of upgrading the gas plumbing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks