Apartment boiler severely corrode and leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Laskka

Reaction score
Hi. our condominium complex has 2 gas boilers that provide water to the entire 254 units. I'm concerned that the maintenance or service is not being performed as required..

The gas boiler heats water and there are 2 120gallon storage tanks attached. The boiler room has water leaking from under the door.
Today I went to investigate.

One of the tanks is severely corroded and leaking and bulging at the seams. The property manage is aware of it but has a history of not properly addressing issues until its an emergency.

I will post link the video I took to show the leak. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MWyCcRBWRyo5Gw9vtl8oY_wQ9HkWIC0t/view?usp=sharing
The bulge on the side of the leaking left tank is getting bigger. Is this critical situation?

20220618_173918.jpg
20220618_173913.jpg
20220618_173855.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They look bad. And being commercial water tanks, it's not a hardware item you find on the shelf. When I order those, it takes days.
I would read what you can off the labels and start doing research. That will also tell you the age, as if that matters at this point.

Edited to correct my massive non ability to read a question during a spell check.

Last edited:

Laskka

Reaction score
Terry.. Thank you so much for your reply. I have all the details and have done quite bit of research. The picture attached is what our boiler looks like. It's gas powered. The boiler only provides hot water the two tanks the right one was installed in March 2018. The other the really bad one I couldn't find a date. The boiler itself you're not going to believe this but I think it said 1968
The tanks are what is corroded and leaking. What worries me is the bulging on the really bad one. Let me try and find a pic

Screen Shot 06-19-22 at 04.35 PM.JPG

Laskka

Reaction score
bulging at side of the corroded tank... also,, maybe i was wrong, maybe the date is 1987... see attached image.
also.. the tank on the right side,, the less corroded.. install was mar 2019. however, the older corroded tank on the left appears to have a date of 2008.. see below.

Attachments

• bulging.jpg
    bulging.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 102
  • boilermodel.jpg
    boilermodel.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 97
  • older-corroded-model.jpg
    older-corroded-model.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Laskka

Reaction score
does anyone have any other input. Is this hotwater tank dangerous.. i.e. ticking time bomb,, or if it's fixed in the next month or so , is that fine? any thoughts on if the associationshuld just replace the entire boiler and tanks.. are today's boiler systems more efffient and less expensive to operate?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks