AP-690 New Yorker Boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

Jfisherman

Reaction score
Can I shut down my New Yorker boiler for a long period of time without causing any problems during the summer season

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Can I shut down my New Yorker boiler for a long period of time without causing any problems during the summer season

Usually it's fine, if "long period of time" means turning it off for a few months (rather than years). Steel boilers are usually somewhat more forgiving than cast iron.

If it has a tankless coil for serving up the domestic hot water and you're running cold water through it to some other water heater there could be a lot of condensation on the heat exchanger plates.

The AP-690 is a pretty large boiler, with a DOE output of 131,000 BTU/hr, which is big enough to keep my sub-code 2x4 framed 2400' bungalow + 1600' of insulated basement toasty even when it's -150F outside ( like it was a couple of ice-ages ago. :) )Hopefully yours has the intelligent boiler controls (not simple aquastats), or it's likely to take a serious hit in as-used efficiency due to oversizing. Most homes in PA wouldn't need a boiler even half that size (though some larger uninsulated stone or brick houses might.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks