Anyone using the Geberit Tessera toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ralleia

Reaction score
We're remodeling two bathrooms and plan to replace the toilets. I'm interested in the Geberit Tessera "concealed tank" toilet for its easy cleaning. But we also would like to know how well it flushes--we have two Eljer toilets now and are dependent on the plunger to keep things working.
Does anyone have experience with the Geberit Tessera? If so, how well does it flush? Any other comments?

Thank you in advance,
Kris

http://www.us.geberit.com/us/Webus.nsf/pages/prod-toil-tesse-1

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I've never used that particular toilet so I really dont know how well it would flush. The first question that came to mind though was what do you do if you need to service the tank? I guess you'd have to have some sort of access panel on the other side of the wall.

looknohands

Reaction score
I am just now in the process of building a bathroom with a wall mounted Duravit Darling toilet, which also uses the concealed Geberit water tank.

You can make the access panel on either side of the wall. By default you will have the access panel on the side of the toilet, right underneath the big flushing switch. You can also install a smaller (nicer-looking) remote flushing actuator, in which case you will either need to make a nicely concealed access panel above the toilet, or on the other side of the wall if you have access to that.

I am making the access panel on the other side of the wall, which will be inside a big closet where I keep things like my tools.

- Erik

dbrown

Reaction score
Experience with Geberit Tessera

This response probably comes too late for your bathroom remodel, but I can tell you what my experience is. All the toilets in our brand-new house are Geberit Tessera models. We moved from a house with 15-year-old 1.6 gallon per flush low-cost floor-mounted toilets.

The wall-hung toilets make the bathroom floors easier to clean. Also, the toilets take up less room in the bathroom than the floor-mounted units. We have radiant heat in the floors, so the wall-hung toilets mean we don't have to worry about problems such as wax rings melting.

However, the Geberit units have many deficiencies, and I would probably avoid them if I were to build another house.

The toilets are loud when they flush. We have the pipes wrapped in carpet pad for sound deadening, and the bathroom walls are filled with sound-deadening insulation. Still, flushing a toilet is clearly audible throughout the house. The toilets seem much louder than the cheap toilets in our old house.

Our neighbor's patio is perhaps 15 feet from our house. They enjoy having people over on sunny weekends, and like to sit out on their patio to talk. Our bathrooms have ventilation windows. The neighbors want to put up a vegetation barrier between our house and their yard. They are specifically looking for something dense and fast-growing. They want to grow the barrier in our yard.

The Geberit toilets jam frequently. In our old house, we had 1-2 times a year when we had to reach for a plunger. In our new house, we have had 3 plunger episodes in eight months.

The Geberit toilets flush no better than the cheap 1.6 gallon toilets in our old house. They need double-flushing slightly more often than the old toilets did, because the Geberit design results in streaks around the bowl edge. Make certain the second flush of the two-flush sequence is as soon as possible after the first one, or you will find yourself cleaning the bowl frequently with a brush.

There is an issue with the wall-hung toilets that I had not considered before we built the house. After the toilet frame is set in the wall, the height cannot be adjusted without tearing open the wall. If you have someone who needs a toilet at a special height, for example, an in-law coming to live with you, you have much more work to go through than with a floor-mounted toilet.

All in all, my experience is that a $150 toilet from Home Depot probably works better than a $650 toilet from Geberit.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
well said

any toilet that hangs on the wall is or someday
will be a nightmare for the plumber that has to service it...

re-hanging one of those darlings in 15 years can be trouble....

and like you stated,,
once the frame is installed, the plumbing is there to
stay and their is no going back and no changes to the height.

people are just too afraid of the 1.6 toilets even though most them
have worked well for a long time...

plumbing4u

Plumber
Reaction score
tessera toilets

I just got a call to service a 9 year old tessera toilet, and :mad: that was a pain trying to get parts. the fill valve went bad. I personally do not recommend this toilets to any one, stay with the traditional, if you are looking for a good functioning toilet and save water at the same time my best recommendation are the Gerber pressure assisted, or even the regular Gerber gravity toilet, they are good, nice looking and easy to maintain.
good luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks