Anyone recognize this pitless adaptor?

Users who are viewing this thread

StormwaterMan

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what kind of pitless adaptor this is? I see no thread for a "conventional" connection to a lifting device. I was going to attempt to replace our pump myself but a quick look into the well stopped me in my tracks.
Pump is at 303 ft. Static water is at 190 ft. 6 in steel casing. 4" pvc well drilled to 480 ft. The well was drilled in 1976. I have no well history prior to 2002 when we bought the house other than the original paperwork filed with the State of CO. That mentions a 1 HP pump and model but not much more. We have had the well regularly tested every 3 or 4 years. 6.5 GPM at 45 psi is all we have ever produced, and that seems to be slowing down lately along with lower pressure. Still fills the house pressure tank but struggles to power a lawn sprinkler that is not connected to the pressure tank. I assume the pump is reaching its end of life at 20+ years. Certainly the original pump was replaced? The flat wire looks relatively modern?

Any help identifying the pitless adaptor would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Pitless Adaptor.jpg
    Pitless Adaptor.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 300

StormwaterMan

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Can't imagine a reputable contractor could install a well without a pit, or a proper pit adapter, even waaaay back in 1978. Regardless, I need a new seal on hand before pulling. The safe bet would be to dig down 8' and just plan to replace the whole assembly with a modern one. My back hurts just thinking about that.

Martin Boring

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't say I have seen one like that either. Might not hurt to look around your area and see if folks have the same well cap as you and talk to them and see who is the well driller, service guy in the area. Most of these well diggers have been in the same family for years and you might found out what brand of pitless it is that way. The pitless has been working for years and doesn't look like its leaking so there probably no reason to replace it unless you like digging.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry, your picture does not provide enough information. Unless you actually want guesses.

Can't tell if the female threads on top of the existing pitless are full of crud, or if they've been broken off.

my best guess is that your pitiless is one of the old half round style ones. In 35 years, I've encountered exactly one of those. And that was 6 weeks ago. It resealed after we replaced the pump, but the pitless will need to be replaced next time around.

Yes I agree , you best bet is going to replace your existing pitless with a new one.

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if you could improve the focus on the suspected pitless. Some cellphone cameras let you select what you want focused on. I am not thinking that will help somebody identify your pitless, but it could add some info. That could include "if the female threads on top of the existing pitless are full of crud, or if they've been broken off."

What is that white PVC off to the right? It looks like a conduit to protect the wire some.

StormwaterMan

Reaction score
The white PVC is the 4" well casing, within the 6" steel casing.
I am going to mount a rod to my shop vac hose so I can try to clean the top of the pitless adaptor. I'll break out the GoPro camera on a rod to get a better photo. May even be able to get the camera under the pitless for an upshot. I was optimistic that someone would see the photo and know immediately what it was. I really wanted this to EASY. Not my lot in life, however. No fun to had in easy.

Reach4

Reaction score
Wow. That pvc liner must be pretty far down.

Tape the shop vac segments together to make sure nothing falls down the hole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks