Anyone have experience with Mustee tub surrounds?

Users who are viewing this thread

MaryAnnKacz

Reaction score
Plumber is recommending Mustee tub surround. He said they are the thickest in my price range. This is to go around existing alcove cast iron tub. They have a 2 or 3 piece model that is nailed to studs. It costs between $300 and $400 depending where I get it. Has to be ordered anywhere I get it. Noone stocks them. Bathroom is gutted to studs, putting up greenboard. If I get this model, drywall is installed up to nailing flanges. My other option is to get one of the Mustees Home Depot has in stock. They are both glue on, about $200. Plumber also mentioned Swanstone, think this is out of my price range.
Have not been able to find any other brands of nail on surrounds that can be used with existing cast iron. Does anyone know of any? If I go with a glue on surround, will have to install greenboard to tub top, and glue surround over that. Also, if you ever need to replace surround that is nailed to studs, do you have to cut drywall to get it out? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both types? Was also looking at a glue on Crane. It is made of polystyrene, Mustees are fiberglass. Is one material better than the other? I like the way the Crane looks better. It has a tile look. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

bigfoot

Reaction score
Hi! Mary
The $200. to $300. price is very resonable considering the cost of 99 percent of the other items out on the market. Do Not for get to insulate around the tub, as well as put up a vapor barier.
bigfoot

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks