Anyone have a video of an overheating water heater: causing a TPR release?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
What's that look like in real life?
Not an explosion when the TPR is removed... a case where the thermostat is bad leading to an overly hot tank.
Video?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nope I've never had one surprisingly or heard of one from a close source its all been theoretical for me , I'm not minimizing it but mostly been on construction end. so if the heat and pressure rise the valve opens bringing cold in. my guess is if t and p works like it should and the drain goes to safe location it might not be that big an event .

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've seen plenty of T&P's that leak. You're talking about one releasing under 150 PSI? The ones I saw were just worn out T&P's.
I have seen the videos of the exploding water heaters when someone has plugged off the T&P
Those things will destroy a home, blowing right through roofs.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've seen many a bad T&P but never seen an outta control water heater. and a working T&P do its job.
Capped off T&P is a whole different story. The overthinker asking about a malfunction water heater and a working T&P, I don't think it would be exciting to see as it would likely just burp here and there 150 psi and or 210 degree and the the cold incoming water to tank would make it stop blowing . I've assumed the overheat function will stop blowing water when temp drops but don't know it could permanently keep valve open? assumed it would cycle

Reaction score
Yes I'm asking about a malfunction in the temperature regulation of the water heater, resulting in a water heater overheating, and the resulting action of the TPR.

Yeah, I assume it would burp uninterestingly when the "T" temperature gets to 200F.
Though it could get more exciting if steam gets into the plumbing and creates various air bubbles.

I also assume the "P" function of the TPR rarely gets used, because some other fixture in the house,
or the backflow preventer if equipped, will in reality go first.

Reach4

Reaction score
Water would start coming out of the T&P gradually and then more. In non-freeze areas it is probably piped outside.

I tend to think a backflow preventer at a water meter would block the flow, and the 150 psi pressure release would release the water. It is the pressure part that releases when there is not a sufficient thermal expansion tank.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a water heater one time that was constantly firing because the shower valve had a leak on the hot side. When I went to shut cold valve I could hear it kettling. The heater itself had a leak in it which I think contributed to the kettling. The T&P would need a lot of a bad situation to go off on temperature. It would almost take someone doing it on purpose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks