Anyone every use Kohler Salient receptor, or Oasis?

Users who are viewing this thread

bath-fix

Reaction score
I'm new to all this.... doing a master bath remodel and have lots of questions. One big one is what to use for shower receptor. Would like a 48 or 60" base, 36" wide. Have looked at Kohler Salient cast iron and love it, but can't find ANY review of it.... specific questions would be is it hard to install, and what about installing bypass shower doors? (Our contractor has never installed one.) Walls would be tiled. Any other really good products we should consider? We'll also have a bench built at one end of the shower, but don't really care for the look of any of the acrylics with built in benches, except possibly Oasis. Anyone have any experience with Oasis brand receptors? Thanks for any help you can give!

I guess the real question should be..... what's the best (affordable) shower receptor I could use for a 48 or 60" shower? Would like a width close to 36" if possible. We want something that will last and not give us any trouble. Reason for bath remodel is existing shower (18 years old, some type of plastic/acrylic) was leaking with water coming through the ceiling below.

Any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I prefer a tiled shower. For a bench if you are using a receptor that won't be tiled, to keep things from leaking, I suggest you look at Better Bench at www.innoviscorp.com. They come in various sizes and styles.

For much less money, a qualified tiler can make you a tiled shower. For some additional help and ideas, check out www.johnbridge.com.

Another suggestion is http://www.schluter.com/143.aspx. This makes a bulletproof tiled shower. You can use one of the kits, or make a custom sized shower.

I've used both of those products, and found them to be top quality. I used their tub conversion sized kit (Schluter) and the large corner Better bench in a shower I built for my mother.

bath-fix

Reaction score
Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions. We're a little afraid of a tiled shower floor, and don't have anyone we can trust to "do it right", which is why we're looking at receptors.

I like the idea of the Better Bench, am forwarding that on to our contractor, and found a local shop that sells them. Just as you mentioned, I am concerned about a receptor base with a tiled bench built "off the back end" of it, even though our contractor says he does it all the time. I'm certainly not an expert, but after spending many hours on this site the past few days, I have a good idea of what to look for (and look out for!).

All that being said, right now I'm leaning towards the Kohler cast iron receptor (UNLESS SOMEONE HERE HAS A REASON TO STAY AWAY FROM IT???) and the large corner Better Bench.

Wish I had all you guys here in Illinois to do the job for me!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Using the Kerdi system is closer to installing wallpaper than anything else. Once you get that installed, other than the fact it is not a wear surface, you could shower in it...it makes the entire area, walls, floor, curb, entirely waterproof. I went to a class on this...they had a cardboard box that had been in use for months as a drink cooler. They used thinset to bond the Kerdi membrane to the box, then filled it each morning with ice and drinks. By the end of the day, it was sitting in mostly water. The box survived intact. The stuff works, and is pretty easy to use. the cost relative to buying a receptor may come out cheaper, but it'd be close. That's if they build a mudbed. If you choose to use the preformed tiling pan, it might cost more.

The advantage is that the entire shower will dry out faster since there's no cement board underneath. In fact, you'd save some since you can drywall the entire room. That is the preferred surface to apply Kerdi to. Once applied, it is entirely waterproof, so there's no worry about the drywall getting ruined, and it't cheaper and faster to put up, saving some in labor over cbu. No need to tape the joints in the shower area, the Kerdi and thinset will take care of that, too, so yet another labor saving.

View their videos at www.schluter.com. It's a neat, well-proven system. You may want to consider Ditra for the floors instead of cbu...it's faster and works better, keeps the height down so transitions are easier, and the relative cost difference is minor, labor and materials taken into account.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks