Any tips for packing a vintage Crane Mixing Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Kurt Kiley

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

My home was built in 1928, I have a vintage Crane mixing valve, as shown in the attached picture. I attempted to repack it because a long slow leak started to turn into a steady stream

I removed the packing nut, #3, and tried to fish out all of the old packing material. While I'm confident I removed all the old packing material, there is still some thick grease like material at the bottom that I could not clean out. I wanted to remove #4 in an attempt to clean the stem and packing gland, but it was not budging and I did not want to force it.

I buttoned it all back up, but it still has a small drip which I would like to fix.

So a couple of questions.

How tight does the packing nut need to be ? It is compressing a spring which compresses the packing. Can it be too tight ?

How much packing material is needed ? I think I might not have used as much as the original because the packing nut is sitting deeper. I could have also over tightened it.

There also appeared to be original packing between the packing nut and the spring, I did not replace that as I was out of packing.

Any suggestions on the type of packing to use ?

Do I need to use any teflon paste anywhere during the reassembly ? I put some between the spring and the nut to lubricate the spring so it wouldn't turn during assembling and damage the packing. As well as on teh threads on the packing nut. Maybe this was not necessary.

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Kurt

Crane_Concorde1.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks