Any preference for green sand filter replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

chrisgjim

Reaction score
I will need to replace the old green sand filter. What is your preference between the air injector systems and the ones that use manganese dioxide?
I have 2.0 mg/l iron 180mg/l of hardness 7.3 ph flow rate of 12.75

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Greensand is a manganese dioxide coated sand. Most iron removal systems use a manganese dioxide coated media. MTM, birm, greensand etc are all hybrid medias. Pure Mnaganese dioxide (pyrolox, filox, Mang-ox, etc.) is an amazing media but very difficult to work with due to its high backwash rate requirements. Air injection is a great design as long as you understand the potential service issues and limitations. It is usually recommended that the line after the air injector to the backwashing system be easily replaceable due to the potential for precipitated iron. If you are talking about the air injector valves, these are also usually good, but need to have the injectors cleaned on a regular basis.

chrisgjim

Reaction score
I was looking at the Nelsen Corporation Terminator Iron filter Any thoughts

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks