Any point to a circuit breaker AND and Edison fuse to pressure switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reznil

Reaction score
Here is my story, not a new one for you guys I am sure: old house, funky plumbing and wiring. Trying to sort it out piece at a time. Background: 220 submersible well pump, pitless adaptor, about 180 feet deep.

The pump wiring has the standard 30 amp 220 circuit breaker in the panel. This goes to a lever cut-off switch box by the pressure tank. This old box has 2 old-school Edison fuses (those glass ones that screw in, like a light bulb base). The wiring and the box look in good condition. I am thinking that there is no real purpose for the Edision fuses, correct? If I replace the wiring and get a new box, I can just get a regular double pole switch, right?

Probably a dumb question, just want to be sure.

Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking that there is no real purpose for the Edision fuses, correct? If I replace the wiring and get a new box, I can just get a regular double pole switch, right?

You don't need both, but it will not hurt. A double pole switch is good and handy. A 30 amp breaker is pretty big for a home pump in a 180 ft well.

Last edited:

Reznil

Reaction score
It already has that at the main box, so now it had a tandem circuit breaker going to Edison fuses then to the pressure switch.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
3/4hp = 20amp
1hp = 25amp
1 1/2hp = 30amp (for your new double pole breaker box)

It is used as a quick disconnect box for turning off the power to the pump & it can pop the glass fuses before it makes it to the main breaker box, this is used to perform maintenance on your pump system without walking to a pole far away or going into the house just to kill the power to the pump.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think that normal home circuit breakers are slow blow for current overload, so you could use the "dual element time delay fuse" column. http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Circuit Protection/Miniature Circuit Breakers/QO-QOB Circuit Breakers/910-01.pdf shows a chart that shows the the common QO 15 amp breaker will not blow in less than 8 seconds with 100% overload. (left of the gray area does not blow, and right of the gray area on the chart will blow.)

I suspect that Franklin chart originated at a time when many load center breakers were fast-operating magnetic breakers. The corresponding numbers for slow blow are
3/4 hp = 15 amp
1 hp = 20 amp
1 1/2 hp = 20 amp
I am not an authority on this. Just discussing.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
With locked rotor amps it blows the breaker that Franklin recommends in just a few secs and a died short instantly, I think they left room incase you want to run something else on the same circuit is my guess.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The pump wiring has the standard 30 amp 220 circuit breaker in the panel. This goes to a lever cut-off switch box by the pressure tank. This old box has 2 old-school Edison fuses (those glass ones that screw in, like a light bulb base). The wiring and the box look in good condition. I am thinking that there is no real purpose for the Edision fuses, correct? If I replace the wiring and get a new box, I can just get a regular double pole switch, right?

As long as you have fuses for the box, I would leave it alone if it is in good shape.

A Edison fuse is better than a Federal breaker for protection. 30 amps at 220 is a lot of power.

Federal in a S&W is good for when someone is trying to steal your pump. :eek: In Texas a S&W is a ground fault interrupter. :D

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks