Any harm in running 1 cubic ft in a 10 x 54 tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

All Fug Duck

Reaction score
Only two of us and I almost feel the 1.5 is too much. Fleck 2510 SXT head on the softener and hardness is18 gpg.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't see a problem if you are replacing the resin. I sure would not pull out 0.5 cuft. Instead you could program it to use less salt with the 1.5.

Bannerman

Reaction score
A 9" diameter tank is most often utilized for 1 ft2 resin as the media depth will be greater which will optimize hardness removal while the water flows through the resin from the top to the bottom of the tank.

That said, softeners containing 1 ft2 usually continue to perform well while utilizing a 10" diameter tank, but suggest installing the full 1.5 ft2 to achieve greater efficiency.

The usual recommended capacity setting for 1.5 ft2 resin is 36,000 grains as only 12 lbs salt will be required to regenerate that capacity.

2 ppl X 60 gals/day X 18 gpg = 2160 grains/day.

36,000 gr / 2160 = 16.7 - 1 day reserve = 15-16 days anticipated regeneration frequency. If your water source is municipal, the usual recommended regeneration frequency is between 7 - 30-days so 1.5 ft2 resin will be appropriate for your requirements.

Last edited:

All Fug Duck

Reaction score
I don't see a problem if you are replacing the resin. I sure would not pull out 0.5 cuft. Instead you could program it to use less salt with the 1.5.
Thanks, I will be replacing the media and rebuilding the 2510. rapid rinse was putting water in the brine tank during BF, so I can only assume the seal kit is bad as it's 5 years old. I don't think it's the piston as it doesn't do it each time it regenerates. I had and still may have an issue with it. no matter after doing a master rest on it a few times the timer resets to full capacity every night.

I've since unplugged it for three days and now it's stopped doing it. also, doing a few manual regenerations it goes through each stage the correct way other than the rapid rinse issue every other time or so. if the circuit board is about to fail, I'm going to replace the unit and move to a 9 x 48 anyway.

Last edited:

All Fug Duck

Reaction score
A 9" diameter tank is most often utilized for 1 ft2 resin as the media depth will be greater which will optimize hardness removal while the water flows through the resin from the top to the bottom of the tank.

That said, softeners containing 1 ft2 usually continue to perform well while utilizing a 10" diameter tank, but suggest installing the full 1.5 ft2 to achieve greater efficiency.

The usual recommended capacity setting for 1.5 ft2 resin is 36,000 grains as only 12 lbs salt will be required to regenerate that capacity.

2 ppl X 60 gals/day X 18 gpg = 2160 grains/day.

36,000 gr / 2160 = 16.7 - 1 day reserve = 15-16 days anticipated regeneration frequency. If your water source is municipal, the usual recommended regeneration frequency is between 7 - 30-days so 1.5 ft2 resin will be appropriate for your requirements.
Thank you for the detailed info. I did for get to mention I'm on a well and have a 2510 AIO in front of it. it needs to be repacked as I know the media is worn pretty bad and the outflow is adding to my softener issue. I'm trying to learn the system better by reading around in here and have found some good information. maybe 1.5 isn't the issue as much as my understanding of the softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks