Any Concerns about messing with 100 yr old pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I keep on looking at the boiler room and want to add some control valves in there.....all brass, all old century stuff.

I've removed end/sections but have completely repiped CU from there.

For where I want to add valves, it's all still brass so I'm going to need a helper (one to hold one end of a fitting while I hold the other end and attempt to remove the pipe. And or cut the pipe and then just remove said stubs from the ends and then work the new work from there.....

My boiler guy was out last year, and I gently tried to persuade him to redo as such....and he was not too keen on touching the old piping. Maybe he knows more than me, probably seen lots of (I wish I have not done that moments).

Am I approaching this wrong. Should I back away and walk away slowly from this idea. I mean it's just threaded pipe that needs to be unthreaded....with some good common sense on making sure the end is being held good and minimize movement.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if it works leave it alone. if it dosent work fix it. show pictures of it its all brass and copper ?

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I have a lot of red brass pipe in my cellar. I had to recently replumb a section in copper. Coupling was seized, and I had to cut it with a hacksaw to thin it out, but it did unscrew and I did not damage the threads on the pipe. I'd make sure you're ready to go back a few joints if you botch one. Also, sylvan suggested a TP fitting/adapter, but I didn't have one. Would be good to have on hand.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I havent had much trouble with Brass . But What is DIY refering to a t p adapter? a good idea cutting the female fitting partialy

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think youre asking for permission to do something that you Want to do but don't need to do. You don't need permission from anyone unless it involves needing a permit to do the work.. in which case we're the wrong people to ask.

Why would you want or need to remove brass piping it can't have worn out in 100 yrs.?. i've worked on 100yr old brass steam pipe and its in perfect condition every time. Is it boiler related or is it domestic hot/cold water related?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think he was asking because he was afraid of working on old piping . and intersted in what type of upgrades and why he is doing them. but being all brass pretty safe I would think. BTW whats a tp adapter ? Im not well versed with heating or steam

DIYorBust

Reaction score
A TP is a threadless pipe adapter. Apparently they braze or sweat onto a copper pipe of outer diameter equal to an ips. It's designed to work with threadless pipe which is copper pipe too thin to thread, but with outer diameter of its pipe, and apparently can be used with brass pipe where the threaded joint cannot be easily made.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Here's a link to the thread where I got some great help from this forum about my brass pipe project including the TP adapter tip:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-redbrass-pipe-circa-1920s.86331/#post-620756

After doing the repair, one takeway I would share with the OP is that the brass pipe is much softer and less forgiving than steel threaded pipes. It would be easy to crush, twist, bend, or overtighten if care is not taken.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks