Any chance to DIY pull 350' 1 1/4" galvanized pipe and pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

tkeoki

Reaction score
Well info:

650' (? best guess from old owner) 4" steel casing.
2 HP Pump at 350' on 1 1/4" galvanized pipe.
static water at 270'
Easy access.

If my calcs are right, it would weigh:

350' pipe @ 2.35 lbs/ft = 822 lbs
water in pipe = 320 lbs
pump/motor = 35 lbs (?)
Total = 1177 lbs

What would be my options to pull the pump myself using some type of DIY system. Tripod with winch? My neighbors backhoe (would rather not have to bother him though)?

I have the capability of air jetting out the water from the pipe so that would reduce the weight to 860 lbs or so.

I'd assume I'd also need a couple large pipe wrenches with cheater bars and a way to connect the winch to the pipe (forgot what that piece is called).

Any ideas for easiest way to accomplish this?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
My chart shows 1263# for pipe and water. Add in the 35# for the pump and at least another 100# for the wire. That is over 1400# even if nothing hangs up when coming out of the well. You can take off a little for buoyance, but not much.

A backhoe is not a good idea. You can't lift straight up with a backhoe, and that's important. A heavy tripod with a 2000# winch might work, but you will need to be able to lift 22' not including the hook and bell, which makes for a tall and flimsy tripod.

An 1 1/4" pipe nipple with a metal loop welded on top is called a bell and is the easiest way to get a hold on the pipe. Then you make a plate out of 1/2" or better plate steel. This piece is U shaped and the ID of the U will fit over the pipe but not the coupling. This plate will hold the pipe on the casing at each joint.

You can also check into slips and elevators if you want some better and more expensive ways to hold and pull the pipe. Slips and bells are dangerous and should be used with extreme caution. If you drop or break something and that pipe falls back into the well, it will take the wire and anything around the well in with it. Plus it will probably ruin the well itself, or at the least cause an expensive fishing job.

To answer your question, yes it can be done but it ain't easy or safe. One little slip up and you will wish you had called in someone.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
LOL you're crazy to even attempt that.....

Bad things happen really fast with steel pipe.

Be smart, spend the money and have a pro come in and do that job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks