Antique toilet does not fit a modern flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Jesse Rowe

Reaction score
I recently replaced the drain lines and toilet flange in my 1911 home with ABS. The new toilet flange is now on top of the finished floor like it should be. What I didn't realize was the the toilet outside diameter exit is 3.5" and the flange looks like it accepts 3". This works fine for a new toilet but I'd like to use the historic model. The toilet does not fit in my new flange and sits up too high. I don't see many options other than trying to remove the flange again or raising the floor. Has anyone encountered this?

Jesse

Jesse Rowe

Reaction score
Yes, a flange that fits over the outside of the pipe would have been the ticket. The inside ones were recommended by my plumber for some reason. Any trick to getting the one that I glued inside the pipe out? Maybe I can cut the old one out with a 3.5" hole saw.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most plumbers are using 4" x 3" closet flanges. Is some cases I will use a 4", but not often.
Is this on slab? Or can you access from below? You may be able to remove what you have. To get a 3.5" inside diameter, you will need 4" coming up.
Would that be on your vertical? Or do you need to replace the 90 el also?

Reaction score
My 1950's Eljer also had a deeper horn, and required the flange either to be flush with my tiles, or below it, but certainly not above it or else my horn does touch it. My guess in those days, it was normal that the tile guy came to do his part after the plumber guy.

Can you post a pic of the flange on your floor, a pic of your plumbing work under the floor (from your basement/crawlspace), and a pic of the underview of your toilet?

I would certainly do everything you can to keep your historic toilet. I get daily pleasure with mine, and my needs come before the water nazis.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks