antique toilet bowl installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

avepel3

Reaction score
I have this toilet bowl that I would like to use in a small space in our new house. I am wondering how it would have originally been mounted and attached to the plumbing. Also any advice on what this is called so I can Google it to try and find some authentic pictures of how it would have looked and been used.

antique_bowl_avepel3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While an old, multi-gallon per flush toilet can stay in it's original position, and could be repaired, it is against the regulations to install it in a new location. 1.6g and soon probably less is required. While you might find bits to install it, you really shouldn't. I'm guessing, but West Virginia may not enforce regulations, they are still there.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, I'em on medicare, and I never saw anything like it. There are a couple of guys older and more experienced than me that may help. I don't know what the second inlet is for...possibly either a vent or rim flush connection. The flush inlet on the rear probably accepts a conventional flush elbow from a wall mount tank. Both of those are still around, but hard to find. One of the old timers would have to tell us how that connects to some kind of waste elbow and trap. It probably needs 7 gallons to flush, so I just see it as a planter!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK, time to tell us this is a joke! You surely aren't serious about trying to install such an antiquated piece of junk in your home. This thing is about as close to an outhouse fixture as you could get.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you sure it's a toilet bowl? Where is the seat for it?
Or do you just "hover" over it?

Are you sure that's not installed for a dental office for spitting?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT is either a "dry hopper" toilet which would have been installed over a "P" trap under the floor, (although most of them were cast iron), or it is a toilet from a recreational vehicle, which used a "kick starter" to open a valve under the bowl and start the flushing.

antique_bowl_avepel3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

worsnup

plumbing contractor
Reaction score
i love the toilet
the brass fitting is wall hung tank connection
the one to the left is a vent
you can put it on a CI 4'' footed p-trap
you wont be to happy with the cleaning end of it though
i love old toilets
oh yea its not a toilet its a bed pan washer

justaguy

Reaction score
I have a toilet similar to this one and it works great - clears the bowl with a lot less water than 1.5g since the tank is mount high above the toilet. The port on the side of the bowl is used for the sink drain, it is supposed to mounted directly to a cast iron trap with a metal cage type of clamp system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks