Antique "Standard" bathtub code?

Users who are viewing this thread

kwhopson

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out anything about the history of a tub, but come up short, other than it was made on Feb. 1, 1905 (see markings). Old Standard Sanitary Mfg Co. catalogs seem to use Plate numbers (i.e P 2405s c. 1912), but I can't find anything on our right-hand, center-drain, roll-rim, pedestal tub from the numbers that are on it. I'd like to know what the model name is (i.e. Knickerbocker, Pempbroke, Oriental), or if it's in a catalog somewhere. Below is a photo of the tub, with all the relevant markings and dimensions. Any information at all is greatly appreciated.
standard_tub.png

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Planning on refinishing and reusing the tub? It doesn't look like it has an overflow, and that might be an issue with the inspectors.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Lots of modern tubs do not have overflows, so that is a non-issue. Back in those days, they used numbers NOT names for their fixtures. I probably had a free standing faucet, with or without a shower, and an indirect stopper/overflow integral with the faucet. Any paperwork was probably lost during the recession or when they merged with American Radiator, and became American Standard.

kwhopson

Reaction score
Yeah, no issues with the tub. Its got an overflow, just can't see it in the pics. I've got all the hardware I need for it now, and its gonna be sweet. As for lost paperwork, that's why I posted. Somebody, somewhere, probably has the documentation. For example, if you follow the Plate number link in my post, you'll see one old catalog on archive.org. But thanks for reaching out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I see the overflow in the drawing but it is well hidden in the photos. As you can see they used "plate numbers/model numbers" rather than names and did you see the prices for the complete set back then?

kwhopson

Reaction score
The 361 on my tub would appear to be the plate number, but all the plate numbers in that particular catalog have 4 digits. Maybe my tub is so much earlier that it falls into the 3 digit category, I don't know. All this is what I'm trying to find out. And yes, the prices ... times have changed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks