anti-siphon hose bib aka PITA...

Users who are viewing this thread

housewifeEmily

Reaction score
Okay... here's the story of a lovely lady... no no that's a tv show...okay we had an anti siphon hose bib, it was about 4 years old and started leaking out the faucet, my husband replaced the internal parts after the neighbor rippped them out one night, very exciting sound...It lasted for a year, this year it started leaking again. We called a PROFESSIONAL plumber to replace the entire thing.

So on May 11th it was replaced. It worked ok for a few days and then everytime we used it it would constantly drip out the back flow valve at the top...not a drip here and there... a steady almost flowing drip. So I called them back they came and fixed/ replaced the inner part under the cap...One week later (this past monday) more of the same...The plumber says to me I don't know what to tell ya... it's just going to drip...

So not only did this jerk plow into my basketball hoop and break the pole so it's almost falling over and is now denying it, but I have spent 160$ on the faucet and labor to be told again today that they are SUPPOSED to drip like that...

The original one I had never dripped but water would come out the top occasionally, and that is the way that I thought they worked....

So I am wondering what anyones thoughts or comments are on this before I go attack this man or call the local news station. I am mad and I feel like he is not being truthful?

How are these things supposed to work????
What should my next step be???? Thanks in advance!!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you on a well? Is your pressure steady?

If the pressure drops in the house, rather than sucking water from the potentially contaminated water in the hose, if the hose pressure is still higher than the supply, the vacuum breaker opens, and dumps the water out there, preventing it from getting back into the supply.

It might be a defective unit. A handy tool to have around is a water pressure gauge. Pick one up for about $10 and install it on the hose bib, open the valve and see what the pressure is and if it is steady.

Any idea what brand it the silcock is? Some are better than others.

housewifeEmily

Reaction score
hosebibs...love em hate em

No we are not on a well, the original anti siphon used to "push" water out the top vavle every now and again. It never dripped. From what I have reasearched it is not supposed to drip. It drips while I use the hose.

I think when it was installed it got broken because the guy used his pipe wrench to hammer the whole thing into the whole in the house... he actually broke the handle off and had to replace that.

It just seems to me that it should not drip...

He never came and assessed the basketball hoop yesterday like he said he was going to... I hear small claims court in my future...

anyone else got any thoughts...

Thank you previous poster!!!

Cookie

Reaction score
Why didn't either you or your husband hand your neighbor the bill which they are responsible in paying.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Take pictures of the faucet. Too speculative when we don't know the brand name.

Also, need to know the static line pressure, which requires a pressure gauge to determine the amount of pressure the new faucet is holding back.

They was "supposed" to check that pressure to inform you of the pressure in your home.

Cookie

Reaction score
Just to clearify couple of things, what bozo/jerk ran into the baseketball hoop? The bozo plumber with his truck?

And, how did your neighbor break your bib? With his hands, a car? what? was it delberate?

Who are you seeking damages from? The bozo plumber? I wonder, if it is the same ones I had years ago, they could be relatives, brothers.

If he/they won't owe up, yeah, sue.

housewifeEmily

Reaction score
Just to clarify... The neighbor is a general contractor, he didn't break the bib, he was trying to help us fix it and it was already broken at the point he pulled it out of the faucet...so he is not the issue,

The plumber is the one that is at fault...

the plumber replaced the leaking bib with another one that was leaking, changed the washer 2 times to no avail... and also drove into the hoop part of the basketball hoop with his giant truck, actually breaking the pole near the bottom.

So today I am going to call one more time and ask to speak to the owner and tell them what happened. Someone was supposed to come and look a the pole friday but didn't.

I will try to take some pictures of the hosebib and post them, as for pressure, he have had that tested previously by the h2o dept and a plumber from a few years ago....

Thanks to everyone... ( I am unsure of the brand but I will try to find out.)

Always some kind of event when you own a home...lol

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks