Antenna installation

Users who are viewing this thread

acwilli

Reaction score
The power coming the the grid leads to a junction for my community, then a single power source (feed wire) connects to a pole in my yard, then drops down to my house (connecting to my main breaker).

acwilli

Reaction score
Not illegal according to my power company, because I own the pole, but I was told that the electriacl interferance may be a problem. If graounded how can it be dangerous?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First off, you have to get up there. Then, to get the coax down, it will may need to run parallel with the power - the worst way to minimize interference. I'd rather put it on the roof, or erect a new pole.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Not illegal according to my power company, because I own the pole, but I was told that the electriacl interferance may be a problem. If graounded how can it be dangerous?
You're right. Give it a try.
What could go wrong. :cool:

acwilli

Reaction score
I do not follow your concept of vertical installation so I attached a picture of my pole. The upper line is electrical and the lower is my cable line. The cable line runs down the pole and is buried the rest of the way to the house. I want to attach my antenna to the top of the pole and tap into the existing cable system feeding my home, but again, I am mostly concerned with the interferance that electricity produces. I do however still would like to know if the antenna is grounded, is there any real lighting danger.

thx aw

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 374

Thassler

Reaction score
The existing coax cable feeding your house from this pole is probably RG-6. If it's much more than 75ft from the pole to the tv in the house, you're probably going to have to much db loss to get much of a signal.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
810.13 Avoidance of Contacts with Conductors of Other Systems.
Outdoor antennas and lead-in conductors from an antenna to a building shall not cross over open conductors of electric light or power circuits and shall be kept well away from all such circuits so as to avoid the possibility of accidental contact. Where proximity to open electric light or power service conductors of less than 250 volts between conductors cannot be avoided, the installation shall be such as to provide a clearance of at least 600 mm (2 ft).
Where practicable, antenna conductors shall be installed so as not to cross under open electric light or power conductors.

See if you can figure out how you can get connected up and adhere to that section.

putting it up on that pole is a very bad idea and I recommond that you not put it there

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, now that they have talked you out of that....I will add that around here ( San Diego) the cell phone companies are using street light poles as antenna location. It is a little different....no overhead power. Just whatever power runs us to the light. Seems to work.

The use small monopoles. I don't know about your neighborhood, but again, around here, if you tried to put up some kind of TV multidipole anywhere near the public right of way, where others could see it and be offended by the visual blight, the Planning Commission would laugh you out of the room right after the voted 5/1 to disallow your permit!!!

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
IF by tap into the cable you mean disconnecting the cable service and substituting your own antenna, you could add a broadband amp to the line if signal levels are too low.

If you mean attach while cable system is still in service there are two problems.

1 - It is illegal because your antenna will radiate the cable signal. FCC really frowns on this and cable systems are required to periodically search to leaks. This would be a LEAK.

2- The cable system will already be using those channel allocations and you will get a mess.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
And how would you secure to the pole? There is nothing to grab onto, plus you get the pleasure of having to place your arm over the Electrical drop to do anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks