Another Toto Drake installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

geepondy

Reaction score
Toilet is set up except for the inlet plumbing but I noticed the same thing with this one as I did at the one in the showroom where I bought it. The tank doesn't sit down quite as tight as I wonder that it should and is rather "springy" to the touch. Is this normal or should it be tightened down more?

TedL

Reaction score
The instructions that came with my Drakes (3 of them) said to tighten until you had 3 points of contact between the tank & bowl. They were pictured in the sheet.

geepondy

Reaction score
Thanks Ted for the response. The instructions are now gone. In your experience when tightened down to three points of contact, does the tank wobble at all or sit flush against the bow?

geepondy

Reaction score
Ok, I was looking it over and I see what you mean. By making contact in three points, that means the middle of the front part is going to touch, preventing wobble. I didn't really pay attention at the store but I see that even if touching at three points, there are going to be gaps between the tank and bowl, looking like it will be easy for dirt to get in and hard to clean.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hard to clean between tank and bowl?

That has always been the case with two-piece toilets where the tank bolts to the bowl.

That's why I sell a lot of the one-piece toilets.

You can always pressure jet between the two pieces.
I saw a home steam cleaner on TV that looked like it was doing a good job.

TedL

Reaction score
The raised part of the bowl where it meets the tank tends to keep stuff out. But only a one piece deals with this 100%.

geepondy

Reaction score
Plumber was here again today fixing a mixmatch between the vanity sink drain outlet and outlet pipe below. I brought up the subject of the wobbly tank to base problem and he exclaimed "oh, all Toto toilets are like that". After he left I thought about the touching in three points and I examined closer and the two sides of the front tank were touching the bowl but nothing in the rear which was why it was wobbly. So I tightened each bolt, I'm going to say another 3/4's of a turn and then the back of the tank touched the base as well preventing wobble. The plumber seemed pretty skillful as he had to do a lot of work to get things lined up below the vanity but he said his normal job was working for a big commercial plumbing company and they recently put 50 Toto's in a building. It makes me wonder how many of them have a wobbly tank to base problem and the people probably don't even know it's wrong.

Anyhow I now know the experience of a Toto flush. Surely that must be the max that can be done with 1.6 gallons of water. My only slight critique is that there is less surface water area then my Kohler downstairs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks