Another "toilet flange" too high question

Users who are viewing this thread

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ahhhh.... finally....after all these years I get a hint of recognition.....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, that makes sense what the inspector is suggesting. The increase in pipe size helps in venting the toilet.

It's nice that he's working with you, and suggesting improvements.

jrseaberg

Reaction score
Thanks!

Hey, thank you guys for the help! I will post a pic when my plumbing is in place, just as an FYI. (You deserver more than a hint of recognition!)

I can't tell you how much your knowledge is appreciated!

Jim

jrseaberg

Reaction score
stupid toilet flange question???

I was just given a box of plumbing parts, and this flange was in it...

bathroom remodel prior to cbu w measurements 022 250x250.jpg

It is a Sioux Chief 4X4 SPGT. Playing around with it, it seems like it would fit on the OUTSIDE of the 90 coming up through the floor, rather than the pvc flange I bought that slips down inside the 90.

Is that what this flange is made for? If so, is it "OK" to use this, or is it improper/not recommended to use it in this way? Or am I waaaaaay off base? (According to my lovely bride, I'm usually way-way off!:p )

Thanks!
Jim

jrseaberg

Reaction score
Anyone out there???

Just hoping for answers:)

for both the toilet flange question above

and

whether or not to use any type of lubricant on the donut gasket and the packing nut (?) on the inside of a Oakey caulkless shower drain; not between the pvc pipe and the donut, but between the donut and the nut that tightens/compresses it against the pvc drain pipe.

Impatient Jim

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
jrseaberg said:
I was just given a box of plumbing parts, and this flange was in it...

View attachment 1947

It is a Sioux Chief 4X4 SPGT. Playing around with it, it seems like it would fit on the OUTSIDE of the 90 coming up through the floor, rather than the pvc flange I bought that slips down inside the 90.

Is that what this flange is made for? If so, is it "OK" to use this, or is it improper/not recommended to use it in this way? Or am I waaaaaay off base? (According to my lovely bride, I'm usually way-way off!:p )

Thanks!
Jim
It is made to go into a 4" fitting... (it is the same size as 4" pipe...)
While it will glue around the 3" fitting hub, technically that is not an approved installation method...
I would go and buy a 3" spigot flange...
The other benefit of getting the right flange is that you can actually get proper primer and cement coverage on the flange and fitting... While you will probably be able to get the dauber in between the 3" hub and the tile, you risk making a mess of your nice new tile while doing it...

jrseaberg

Reaction score
I suspected this was the case...

Thanks for the reply. I already have a 3" flange, so that is what I'll use.

Thanks for the comment on the tile, too. This is my first attempt at tiling, and plumbing, too, other than "replacing" things. It just goes to show me how little I really know!!! (just don't tell my wife;) )

Jim

p.s. any thoughts on the shower drain question above?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks