Another rotten egg stinky water heater thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt A

Reaction score
Hey guys was hoping for some advice. One of my rental properties is on well water it's actually four rentals on the same property and they all share the same well. The water is softened and is actually crystal clear with very low iron and odor but run it through a water heater and that's another story. The longer it sits in the water heater the worse it gets and my tenants are complaining that it's unbearable. I can drain the water heater but the smell is back within a matter of days. I have four separate water heaters for the four separate rentals and I just replaced all of the anodes which were completely gone with new aluminum ones from Home Depot and now the smell is back and worse than ever. They were approximately 4 years old. So my question is what if anything can be done about this order. Can you use a water heater without an anode and if so how long could you expect that water heater to last? I might be willing to go that route to forego the horrific odor. And finally could this be a grounding or bonding problem with the heaters?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
You will have to get rid of the anode rods..... and just put plugs in the holes..
the heaters will still last a long time because you are on low well pressure...

just throw them away and the odor will go away in a day or two ....
we have to do this all the time on well water in our area...

it does not matter
what kind of rod you use the smell will return

Matt A

Reaction score
Thank you Mark for the quick reply. That is awesome news cuz my only other choice is to hook up to city water and it's a $3,500 impact fee which I'm just not ready to do plus I don't think the pipes in these old places can handle the pressure. Can I use CPVC plugs on the tanks?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would not use the plugs, but if you do, usually brass is recommended. Better is a powered anode. I like the Ceranode unit. It protects the water heater like magnesium, but it does not contribute to the H2S (sulfur) you smell.

I would also sanitize the well. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my write-up. It would impact the tenants for a little over 24 hours the way I do it.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
You can just go buy some 3/4 galvanized plugs and crank them down......

the heaters will last way past the warranty without the anode rods at least they
always do for us and the water around here is 24 parts hard on wells....

we normally take them out
on wells and they chug along forever....its never been an issue....

Its the high pressure that kills water heaters

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks